PDA

View Full Version : Northern Flicker Male

Bill Bryant
05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
This Male Northern Flicker was in the process of digging out his nest. He would repeatedly disappear inside, then pop his head out and spit out some wood. The Female would stop by now and then and go inside, but apparently only played a supervisory role... never once saw her remove any wood.

Near Denver, CO
Canon 50D
500/4
1/125th
f 6.3
iso 500

Juan Aragonés
05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
The red channel seems to be slightly oversaturated in this image (check the red channel histogram in PS) and if you selectively desaturate the reds just a bit I think that the result would be better. The bird is very centered in the frame and I am wondering if you have some additional room in the original frame (it doesn´t seems to be a big crop). I like the texture of the wood a lot and the eye and sharpness are fantastic. Very good job

Doug Brown
05-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Great behavior captured Bill! Agree with Juan about the red channel and the crop. I would have liked a slight head turn to the left of the frame. Overall a very nice image!

Bill Bryant
05-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I think you were right. Looks better after reducing the reds... not much more I could do with the crop. It was shot almost almost full frame.

Graham Smith.
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Very nice image Bill - I quite like it. I agree with earlier comments about the oversaturated reds, but I actually think the best saturation level would be somewhere between the original and the re-post (IMHO).

Stu Bowie
05-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Lovely inquisitive pose from the mouth of his nest. I would maybe move him to the right a bit.