PDA

View Full Version : Assignment: Dewdrop

Christopher Miller
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/CAMiller290/BPN/P4280260ResizeWeb.jpg

I created this photograph kinda by accident. I was experimenting with a new technique I discovered to photograph macro subjects, which is to set the manual focus at the shortest distance possible and then move the camera in and out to get the subject in focus. I find it's very helpful with fast-moving insects and tiny subjects like this dewdrop. Anyway, in this photo I happened to get the focus point on the reflection inside the dewdrop rather than on the dewdrop itself. I really like the result and thought it would be good for the current assignment.
Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f3.5 @ 1/100, ISO 100, -0.7 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, auto WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, slight saturation increase, noise reduction, and toned down a few light and dark areas in the BG

Alfred Forns
05-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I do like it Christopher Looks cool !!! btw your focusing technique is great not for shortest distance but for all !! I like manually focusing for macro and just rock back and forth.

A slight variation is to focus just past the subject then manually focus back and press the shutter at the "beep" Much more accurate than by sight !!!

Nonda Surratt
05-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I like it Christopher! Low shallow DOF with just the right spot in focus.

Hum..I weave naturally so have always sorta done the back and forth focus thing:o

denise ippolito
05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Christopher, I like this one alot! The reflection in the dew drop is great! Really well seen and captured!

Gus Cobos
05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Well done Christopher,
I like the feel, you managed to showcase the water droplet quite well...:cool:

Lance Peters
05-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice Chris - think I can see you in the droplet as well.

Keep them coming :)

Jackie Schuknecht
05-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Happy accident Christopher:). Love the reflection in the dew drop. Thought you had photo-shopped it in at first! Al has mentioned this technique, thanks for reminding us:)

Christopher Miller
05-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks everyone for commenting! I hope to try taking some more dewdrop photos like this.