PDA

View Full Version : Phalaenopsis In Natural Light... Moth Orchid

Charles Wesley
05-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Here's one of my orchids from my collection. I decided to move away from flash and use only natural light recently. I used my Canon 5D, Sigma 180 mm. HSM f/3.5 EX DG APO Macro IF AF lens and tripod. My PhotoFlex diffusers came in very handy. Not sure of my SS but it was slow so I used MLU and did a time exposure. My aperture was around f/13.0 as I recall.

Not sure I like the composition showing the back sides of the other flowers.

Enjoy,

Susan Griffith
05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I like the lighting, this image reminds me of those created by Jonathan Singer in his work the "Botanica Magnifica". very well done orchid portrait.

-S

Julie Kenward
05-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Charlie, I think the lighting on this is surreal. It almost gives a glow to the purple tones...it's really magnificent.

As for the comp - I like it. I think the back of flowers is just as interesting as the front and being able to view both sides in one image is really nice. I also think you have just the right amount of negative space to give the frame room to breath without minimizing the beauty of the orchid.

Charles Wesley
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks Susan & Julie for the kind comments. I find the diffusers help compress the H/S so they fit better into the dynamic range of the camera's sensor.

Not sure I'm up to Dr. Jonathan Singer's standards. He's totally awesome IMO.

Joseph Martines
05-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Nicely done.

I liked the lighting.

Kaushik Balakumar
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Simple & elegant !
Lovely light displaying the textures in the petals.

Joe Senzatimore
05-06-2009, 05:49 PM
What a magnificent image. These things are tough to compose and you have done a wonderful job on this one. The lighting is fantastic as well.

Mike Moats
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey Charles, great color and details, works well with the BG,

Richard Lovison
05-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Charles,

This is a beautiful image... the lighting is magical. Seeing the backs of two of the flowers doesn't bother me since as Jules pointed out, both sides are interesting, plus my eye tends to go to the upper right rule-of-thirds power position where the center of the third flower is located.

My only suggestion, and it is a minor one, would be to tighten the crop all the way around the image to bring the beauty of the subject closer to the viewer.

Thomas Herou
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Charles.

I really like the comp and the outstanding light.Ordinary I disslike black backrounds,I think
it takes the life out of the picture,but here it works very fine.

Anita Bower
05-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Stunning! Gorgeous! Love the light. The black BG works great with this elegant flower.