PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Turnstone

Ed Vatza
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Just one more for today if I may. This image was also made this past weekend on the Barnegat Inlet jetty in New Jersey.

I was using a Canon 30D with the 400mm f/5.6L lens tripod mounted with the 430 EX Flash and Better Beamer.

1/125 sec at f/5.6; ISO 400; EC +2/3; FEC -2/3

Cropped. PP in Lightroom and Photoshop.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/057_1_1-5.jpg

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi Ed,

We allow one post every 24 hours for the moment. I will leave this one, but please take that into consideration :)

We need another head turn here and the light stone behind the face is distracting. Again, going lower would have helped the background.

Great control of whites.

Ed Vatza
01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi Ed,

We allow one post every 24 hours for the moment. I will leave this one, but please take that into consideration :)

We need another head turn here and the light stone behind the face is distracting. Again, going lower would have helped the background.

Great control of whites.

Sorry, Fabs. I just noticed the one post limit elsewhere and was coming back to see if I could pull the image. Mea culpa.

By head turn here, do you mean more of a full frontal view or just a slight turn. And I guess I could have moved slightly to the right which would have put a slightly more distant dark stone behind the head. Good point.

Ed Vatza
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Hello and welcome!

I have to agree with Fab, I'm sure a lower angle would have helped the distracting rocks in the BG. I also would like to see the beak sharper.[/quote]

I guess that comes with keeping the eye and tip of bill in the same plane. See I learned something already! :)

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I guess that comes with keeping the eye and tip of bill in the same plane. See I learned something already! :)

Fast learner ;)

Yes, I mean towards you.

James Salywoda
01-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Nice details and pose the bg is alittle distracting I think this image could use alittle more room.

Arthur Morris
01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Above comments are right on. And yes, the bird's head is turned away from you. In addition, the bird has flash eye problems and there is a bit of motion blur to the head. Everything else is way-sharp and the exposure is right on.

later and love, artie

ps: Please shoot me an e-mail at birdsasart@att.net <smile>

Ed Vatza
01-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks, Artie. I think I've gotten more constructive criticism here in one evening than... well lets just say I've gotten some solid advice here so far.

Thanks to all. Getting better is what it is all about.