PDA

View Full Version : Squacco heron (Ardeola ralloides)

Juan Aragonés
05-05-2009, 04:10 AM
The photography of birds in flight is my favorite kind of photography. Flights are funny to do, full of action and, in most of the cases, are totally unpredictables. A good flight photography needs to have the main subject filling most part of the frame to enjoy of the plumage textures, the action and of all the details that are unvisible to the naked eye. The photography of static subjects allow the photographer to see all those details throug the viewfinder but if you are shooting flights, the action is so fast that the only way to perceive those details is looking to the camera screen once the action has finished. No room for mistakes or no second chances but it is a lot of fun.
This squacco heron (Ardeola ralloides) and this common egrett (Egretta garzetta) are both from the same day, in Doñana National Park. Both species are in full breeding attire (look at feathers and at the fantastic colors in the bare parts). The egret is white and most part of the squacco´s plumage is white too. The squacco is, by far, the most difficult species to get with and optimal exposure in flight. Well, at least, it is for me. Lots of underxposure and manual, of course. If the light is a bit intense, the best that you can have is a good exposure in the bird but a very dark background. Best results are obtained whith a very slight overcast sky. Egrets are much more easy to expose for me.
As always, your comments and critics are highly apreciated:)

Self critic: the bird is fliying away from me :(

Nikon D2X, AFS Nikkor 300VR handheld, f5 1/2500s ISO 200, manual exposure

Dave Barnes
05-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Hi juan.
I think you are spot on here with your exposure showing good colour and feather detail. (not sure but the whites on the top of the wing as it joins the body maybe a touch hot?) I like the comp and the BG.
(Not sure what the BHP will say?) As you say angle of flight a touch away from you, but I like the image.

Stu Bowie
05-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Juan, pin, pin sharp, and you have nailed the exposure perfectly. Stunning light and detail, and love the colours on him. He also stands out so well against the BG. Congrats.

Mark Dumbleton
05-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Lovely exposure on the Squacco - shows up the detail and colours well!
Wish it was flying more towards you. Super stuff!

Fabs Forns
05-05-2009, 08:49 AM
One split of a second before would have been perfect. Bird is beautiful and so is EXP and BG. I guess he's in breeding plumage?

Doug Brown
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Super job with exposure and sharpness Juan! Love the wing position and the green BG. Only wish the bird had been flying towards you in this frame, but I'm sure you wished for the same thing! ;)

Chris Kotze
05-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Excellent detail and super exposure. I have no problem with the flight angle

David Hemmings
05-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Juan, a wonderfully executed flight image with near perfect exposure control. The colors and details are fantastic. Your self critique is a good one, but it is very slightly away from you. If I could pick one small nit for me a little more space on top, just a touch :)

Daniel Stenberg
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Juan, Squaccos are among my favourite herons and this image is fantastic in exposure and feather detail. My only nit is, as you say yourself, the flight direction that should have given more inpact if it had been more towards you.

Thanks for sharing.

// Daniel

Ramon M. Casares
05-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Great species and pose, lovely light and A+ expsure Juan, I like the BG and the comp, agree with Fabs that a "split of a second before" would've been even better :)
Congratulations my friend!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi juan!
I love this as presented - the beauty of the bird makes up for the fact that it has flown past you.
Best,
Nicki

Tony Whitehead
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Good to see your images again, Juan. Good exposure with superb colours and BG. One advantage of it having passed is that we get a good view of the plumes lying down the nape of the neck but a little earlier would have been ideal.

Tony House
05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Superb, lovely detail and exposure..

Tony