PDA

View Full Version : Five Pelicans for Capt. James and the Hootie Deux!

Bob Blanchard
05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I had the honor of meeting Capt. James for the first time this past weekend, and had a great day out on the Hooptie Deux! Sure is no better way to capture Spoonies than that. I decided to post something a bit different from my first Hooptie trip. As we were coming in for the evening, there was a small flock of White Pelicans on a sand bar that took off before we could really get set up to work them. The water was getting a bit rough, and it was definitely a challenge trying to pan on the circling pelicans with the 600 on a tripod while the boat was rocking, but I managed a capture that I liked anyway. I did move the top bird a bit left to balance the circle for Capt. James's "Five Pelican" award here :D

Canon 1DsMII, 600mm f/4L, f/4, 1/1250, ISO 400, Manual mode,tripod, late golden light from the Hooptie Deux
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/527736784_DdEGr-L.jpg

Dan Walker
05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Great way to make an opportunity that some may pass up. love the position of the birds, even if you did have to move one, light looks sweet. how close to full frame is this? would like to see this at a much larger size

Bob Blanchard
05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
This is not cropped much. Just some off the top and left for balance. Definitely capable of being a very good sized print. I do wish for a better wing position on the front and lower right birds, but the head angels are good. Hard to get it all right with multiple birds in a frame, that's for sure.

Juan Aragonés
05-05-2009, 05:02 AM
Very nice light and composition Bob. I cannot imagine how do you manage to get an image with a 600 mounted on a tripod on a rocking boat. I like it a lot and hope to see more images from the Hooptie

Marina Scarr
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi Bob: Glad you finally got to get out on Tampa Bay. Really like the image you created here. Would never have known you moved the bird but glad you did now that you described it and I see the results. The light here is really special, and I like the fact that all wing positions are different.

Charles Wesley
05-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Bob,

This is just wonderful. Oh what awesome light and placements in the frame.
Thanks for sharing......