PDA

View Full Version : B&W Clouds

Christopher Miller
05-04-2009, 08:28 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/CAMiller290/BPN/PanoCloudsResizeWeb.jpg

Still experimenting with shooting landscapes. I thought the cloud formation here would work well for B&W. Stitched four images together to create this pano. Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f8.0 @ 1/160, ISO 100
Manual mode, pattern metering
Processed in PS CS2; curves adjustment, channel mixer, selective color, shadow/highlight, and noise reduction

Paul Marcellini
05-05-2009, 07:11 AM
I like the comp and am quite fond of cloudscapes. You have a nice ratio of land to sky here. It appears there is a house dead center, and here that works for me. The land/trees are just a bit muddy/dark to work though. I would try to pull more detail out of them.

Grady Weed
05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
The muddy or dark bottom is hurting this one. More details are needed for sure. I do love the clouds. nice shape to them.

Christopher Miller
05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/CAMiller290/BPN/PanoCloudsResizeWeb2.jpg

Thanks Paul and Grady for commenting. The building is our barn. I did some S/H on the land and trees to get more detail out of them. Do you think it's enough or does it need more?

Grady Weed
05-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Way better on the foreground. Paul may have some suggestions as he is very good with PS. You did well making use of local scenes.

Roman Kurywczak
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey Christopher,
Nice advice given above! I too am fond of skyscapes. I think a screen blend layer on the FG could help some more along with a contrast layer. You can also probably selectively dodge and burn. Re-post is going in right direction.....so just a bit more tweaking. I am debating the RH side.....especially the whiter cloud. A crop off the RH side may take the V off center and further strenghten the comp. Will play if I get a chance.
Nice job on the sky B&W conversion.

Christopher Miller
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Roman! I'll try them out when I get a chance.