PDA

View Full Version : What's Typical at Viera, etc. this Time of Year?

Ann Rosenthal
05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I will be coming to the Alligator Farm next week. While I love it, and have been wanting to return there since I came 7 years ago, I'd also like to visit Viera Wetlands, and possibly Orlando Wetlands, while I'm in Florida. I'd like to go to Merritt Island, too, but I think it will be closed due to NASA's launch on Monday. I have never been to Viera or Orlando, and only been to Merritt in February, so I was wondering what birds might be there this time of year, and how easy it is to see and photograph them. Also, before flying home from JAX, I plan to visit Amelia Island and St. Simons to photograph the lighthouses. If there are any places that would be of interest to a nature photographer up that way, I'd welcome suggestions. Thanks much.

Judd Patterson
05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
At Viera you have a good chance of seeing some central Florida specialities such as Crested Caracara. Coots will be all over the place, and there is always a good selection of our heron species. Usually you will also find White and Glossy Ibis, and Bald Eagles often make a few flights around the area. Merritt Island has been hot recently with spoonbills and other wading birds, but it will be closed for a couple days ahead of the launch. Very soon after a successful launch it will open, so keep that in mind. Enjoy your visit down to Alligator Farm and other spots in Florida!

Ann Rosenthal
05-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks. It sounds like it will be worthwhile to check out Viera, even if all I see are a few great blues. They're still kind of a favorite anyway, despite being pretty common. I had pretty much written off MINWR, because I don't think I'll be in that area more than Monday, but maybe I'll keep it in the back of my mind. I read a post on another thread or site that implied it closed/opened on a regular schedule around launches - maybe 3 days before and one day after successul launch, but is it variable? I'll call MINWR, but can someone give me an idea of roughly how often they open the next day after a launch? Also, I need to look at a map, but can I assume that Bio Lab and Peacock's Pocket are part of the refuge and are closed when MINWR's closed? Is there anywhere else around Titusville or Melbourne/Viera that's possible for spoonbills? Thanks, and won't ask any more questions - I promise.

Fabs Forns
05-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Ann, Viera is more or less slow, except for a Crested Caracara family with 3 chicks, quite big and healthy :)
They are perched in the fence's posts or in the ground, most always in the shade, they are smart :)
There are two limpkins and as Judd menstions, a los of Coots and Boat tailed Grackles.

Black Point drive in MINWR is dry for the most part, except at the end, so good luck there :(
Have fun!!!

Chris Baker
05-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Ann,

I've just returned from Florida. Last Friday, Black Point Drive, M Island was almost a waste of time. The water to the left of the drive was gone until you got to the WC block, to the right there was a little water with 8 Spoonbills, 5 yellowlegs and a few of the usual suspects. No coots at all, staggering when you consider how many wintered there. Beyond the toilet block there were 7 Stilts which made the trip worthwhile but overall very disappointing. Last Tuesday and Thursday visited Viera. Both trips excellent for me, Caracara, 3 very advanced Juveniles and the parents seem to be trying for a second time. 3 Least Bittern showing very well on the lily padsjust to left when you enter, a couple of Gallinule plus the usual suspects. Hope this helps

Chris B.

Ann Rosenthal
05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Ann,

I've just returned from Florida. Last Friday, Black Point Drive, M Island was almost a waste of time. The water to the left of the drive was gone until you got to the WC block, to the right there was a little water with 8 Spoonbills, 5 yellowlegs and a few of the usual suspects. No coots at all, staggering when you consider how many wintered there. Beyond the toilet block there were 7 Stilts which made the trip worthwhile but overall very disappointing. Last Tuesday and Thursday visited Viera. Both trips excellent for me, Caracara, 3 very advanced Juveniles and the parents seem to be trying for a second time. 3 Least Bittern showing very well on the lily padsjust to left when you enter, a couple of Gallinule plus the usual suspects. Hope this helps

Chris B.

Hhmm...maybe I should just stay at the Alligator Farm, with its wealth of birds this time of year....but I DO like to drive around and explore. Anyway, thanks for the info. With bird photography, you just never know what you're gonna get - I once was at Anhinga in the Everglades at 7 AM in Feb. when about the only bird around was a woodpecker. Boy, was I and some other photographers dsappointed!