PDA

View Full Version : Resting Tree Swallow

Steve Canuel
05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
40D, 400DO + 2xTC, f10, 1/320s, ISO 800, + 1/3 EC, tripod mount, small crop to tighten comp.

Thomas Boysen
05-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Lovely BG and exposure. Too bad the eye doesn't have a little catch light. These guys have nested in my yard for the last three years, but I always end up with the blue just not looking real.
I find the position of the bird in the pic not quite right. I assume you wanted to keep the end of the twig in the composition. I tried to fiddle around with this but I think the cropping should have left the bird a bit lower and left even at the expense of the end of the twig.
( my first critique here, nervous as ****)

Thomas

Steve Canuel
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Lovely BG and exposure. Too bad the eye doesn't have a little catch light. These guys have nested in my yard for the last three years, but I always end up with the blue just not looking real.
I find the position of the bird in the pic not quite right. I assume you wanted to keep the end of the twig in the composition. I tried to fiddle around with this but I think the cropping should have left the bird a bit lower and left even at the expense of the end of the twig.
( my first critique here, nervous as ****)

Thomas

Thanks for the look and for allowing me to be your first critique :D. Nothing to be nervous about as that's the reason I post. I'll have to disagree with you on the catchlight though. Unless catchlight is defined as a dot, I've got a horizon of catchlight visible in the eye. You are correct about me wanting to leave the twig in though. I left it in because the bottom "Y" reminded me of a jet plane which I thought was a good tie in with the swept back wings of the bird. Might be a stretch but I make no excuses for my artistic visions ;)

John Chardine
05-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I like this one Steve. The BG is super and you have captured the bird in light which shows the species the best- soft and not too contrasty. I like the sky-light/horizon catchlight.

Raul Quinones
05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Nice picture. I like the colors, composition, details and background. Can't find any recommendations for improvements.

Mark Fuge
05-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I like the image, but have to agree with Thomas that the crop could be improved. The bird is too centered in the original image. I have attached a possible "approximate" alternative framing, black area is cropped out area.

Just one view, shared by Thomas to some extent. I would explore cropping of the original image to see what could be done.

Otherwise, I like it. ;)

Welcome Thomas, don't be shy, we all learn together from what we share here.

Phil Ertel
05-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Very nice. I like the composition as originally presented. The background is pleasing color. The pose, details and colors of the bird are all nice. I would leave it as is is.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I prefer your version.

Lovely species, light and compo.

I would suggest to tone down the perch a little.

Great image.

Stu Bowie
05-05-2009, 12:16 AM
With regards to being unsuccessful at capturing them in flight, Its no easy feat, as I have tried on many occasion too Steve, so no need to run yourself down. Perfectly exposed blues on the little guy, and nice and sharp. Great head turn too. I would maybe tone down the top of the perch a tad.

Juan Aragonés
05-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Superb job Steve. I like the fantastic BG, the soft light, the head turn, eye contact (and catchlight) and the beautiful perch. I like the original a lot but I also like the suggestion of croping a bit in the way Mark did. Anyhow, this is a fantastic image. Congratulations :-)

Mike Lentz
05-05-2009, 08:19 AM
My statement would echo pretty much what Juan just said.
I would have to say that your original image crop is my preference as well.
Very nice image!

Ramon M. Casares
05-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I love it, great light, pose, percgh, BG and detail, exposure and colors are very nice as well, I did like the OP crop very much. COngratulations!

Steve Canuel
05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Always interesting to hear other's opinions on an image.