PDA

View Full Version : Red Trillium

Jackie Schuknecht
05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Found the field of red trilliums and took a few shots. They come out before the whites. I have a really nice magenta colour in CS4 but when I go to convert to jpeg I get this really yucky colour. Taken in the woods so the WB was cloudy.
I know I could have used more depth of field for the upper petal.
Thought some of you may be interested in seeing one anyhow as they are fairly rare.
20D
ISO 400
1/30s
Tripod
Evaluative 0\AV Mode

denise ippolito
05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Jackie, This is a lovely composition and I like the details in the petals-I think you captured the reds perfectly! I might just clean a bit of the pollen-but it's a field shot so maybe not. Well done and thank you for sharing this rare beauty!

Jackie Schuknecht
05-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks Denise, I checked about 20 flowers and they all had this amount of pollen on them. I hope to go back this W/E and try some more shots, they are just starting to come out. Hopefully they will be pollen free:)

Gus Cobos
05-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi Lady Jackie,
I like your composition and capture...you do have the eye...this is a beautiful flower I like the capture angle and the color rendition is within the red range. I like the fine details and the natural pollen on the leaves...I took the liberty to just boost her beauty the way she should look, dressed for the ball...:D:) I adjusted the mid-tones just a tad and boosted the contrast and saturation slightly...also cloned out or trimmed the off leaves from her sides , blurred the background a little and ran a low intensity level pass of noise reduction...see if you like this...:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment Gus, I will take all these ideas when I go back into the RAW file:) Thought she was missing a little zip!

Gus Cobos
05-04-2009, 07:31 PM
You are very welcome Lady Jackie...:) All she needed was a little bit of makeup...:D:):cool:

denise ippolito
05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Gus' Repost really did add some zip!!

Julie Kenward
05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I do like the original image, Jackie, but agree that it needed a saturation boost. I find the BG a little bit distracting from the beauty of the flower but it's nothing a little cloning couldn't fix.

Thanks for sharing this...I don't believe I've ever seen one this color!

Anita Bower
05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Lovely! I think you did a good job. I do like the adjustments made by Gus. Great details in the flower and good job isolating it from surroundings, which I find extremely challenging.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks Anita, I did try to isolate the subject by going to f8. A comment I had read in this section on another post. Luckily they are still coming out, so I will try again on the w/e. I think I really wanted to share this photo because I don't know many people who have actually seen one. Thank you for your very nice comment, it is appreciated:)

Anita Bower
05-06-2009, 04:33 AM
You are right that I have never seen a trillium this shade of red. The red trilliums I'm familiar with are more a maroon color. Is this the same type?

Jackie Schuknecht
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes I think it is Anita, I think the first post is truer to the real colour. I will be going out again:)