PDA

View Full Version : Trout Lilly

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Another case of going low. found this last friday while out at Buck Gardens. This one was all alone out in the open and sligtly tipped upwards but the BG was horrible. What to do? I looked around and found piece of moss covered wood....placed it about 4 inches behind and voila! had to carefully check and see if I got seperation in the petals and as I was about 4 inches off the ground hand holding.....not the easiest task.
Canon Mark 3 with the Sigma 180mm macro at f22 for 1/60 sec. and the MT24 twin lights at 1/32 power
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Ed Vatza
05-03-2009, 07:26 PM
These "tiny" wildflowers provide some special challenges for us "big" guys! Getting down low enough isn't easy. I'm thinking I need to pack a shovel to dig a hole! :D

I think the Trout Lily looks great. The perspective is right what you would want. The detail is excellent. I'm conflicted a bit on whether the yellows could use a bit more brightening. Finally, while I generally like the tree bark backgrounds, I'm not really sold on this one. It's too dark to show the pattern and not dark enough to be black. Maybe it's just me. It usually is! ;)

Julie Kenward
05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I feel the same as Ed...the yellows feel just a tiny bit dark...maybe it is because of the dark BG or maybe they lost a little zip in the compression but I'd take them up just a tiny bit more if you can.

The BG doesn't really bother me but...I also wondered if it could be lightened up a bit without being ugly. If so, I'd do it. Nothing wrong with a little mossy BG!

I wonder if I'll ever get brave enough to try F32...

Mike Moats
05-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Roman, very nice details and the color looks good to me.

Anita Bower
05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I think it is gorgeous! Good job. These little flowers are quite difficult to photograph. Your solution to the BG worked beautifully. Only improvement might be to brighten the flower a bit. Just lovely!!!!