PDA

View Full Version : Rose-Breasted Grosbeak

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-03-2009, 02:23 PM
As spring slowly arrives here in Central Illinois we are finally getting some of our summer birds back. This was the first RB Grossbeak we have seen this year and I was glad to see it. Comments welcomed and desired.
Nikon D700
2009:05:03 12:02:47
1000mm
1000mm (in 35mm film)
1/100 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Center-weighted average
Exp comp: +2/3
ISO: 200
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: AUTO
Flash: Off
File size: 13.3MB
Image size: 3036 x 2010
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal

Randy Stout
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Wheeler:

Your fellow is sharp, well exposed (not a trivial thing on these guys). Soft light really helped you here. Nice head angle.

There is a odd black mark at the upper base of the bill in the background, like you cloned out something.

In a perfect world I would like to see more of the tail.

I have mixed feelings about the leaves. I like the tie in to early spring and the return of the bird. Perhaps clone out the one twig that is closest to his head. The larger twig to the right is more problematic, and I don't have an elegant way to handle it. There is enough separation from the bird that it isn't particularly bothersome, but it still gets your attention. You could clone it out completely, or perhaps just darken the leave s a bit.

Thanks for sharing this nice fellow.

Randy

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Randy- Thanks for your coments. The black blur above the bill is just that from a out of focus branch in the BG. I am not sure I agree with you about the leaves, but I will give it a try and let you know how it comes out. Thank again for your thoughts.

Mac

David Thomasson
05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
That's a beauty. I would only clone out the little spot at the top of the beak.

Just for fun, try clicking with the gray dropper (levels) above and a little to the right of the head. It takes out the slight green cast reflected from the foliage, and in the process pops the red on the breast a bit.

Randy Stout
05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Wheeler:

You sure don't have to agree with me about the leaves. We all see images differently, just giving you my take on it.

Cheers

Randy

Doug Brown
05-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Nice one Wheeler. I would selectively sharpen the eye. That black smudge appears to extend onto the beak just a little. I am fine with the leaves, as they convey a sense of springtime. I took the liberty of changing the title of the image; this is a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak.