PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Critters Winners

Grady Weed
05-03-2009, 12:05 PM
First, I would like to thank BPN's publishers for allowing me to take part in this judging process for theme week. I spoke to Denise by phone. She was very excited and shows a lot of enthusiasm for this forum. Her constant participation and encouraging comments, I believe, are the driving force for this forum's unique perspective.

Before I joined BPN, I was mostly a traditional, Ansel Adams-type of photographer. I love black and white and landscapes. My love for avian and wildlife grew as time went by. Participating in Out of the Box has sparked a new interest. Therefore, I looked for several things: the very first was visual impact. Often my initial impression is something that does not change when I see a photograph. So I can usually trust what I first see and then feel. Secondly, I looked for at least somewhat believability. Was there some element of truth but just stretched? Did the image make me laugh yet not laugh AT the image? And last, I looked at Photoshop Skills. I must say, I am not a huge fan of extreme manipulation. A photograph should be able to stand on its own as it is before being manipulated. If a person takes a blown image or one that is no good in the first place and then just covers it over with a few photoshop techniques, I do not consider that a worthwhile image. I did not see those types of images here during this week's contest.

This week's winners are..
First Place: Psycho Kitty by Kerry Perkins
Second Place: Alien Cows by Harold Davis
Third Place: Critters (tree frog) by Jackie Schuknecht

Honorable Mention:
From the Night by Mark Fuge. I want to say, Mark, that image was rather nice. Being a native of Florida myself for almost 25 years I love Florida wildlife. Often gators are imaged in a traditional mirror water finish, which is nice, but not many have been made like your presentation. That kind of creativity is to be applauded.

I know that moderators and publishers were not eligible, but I do feel several are worth mentioning: First, Alfred Forns with his grasshopper in the spotlight. That picture was magnificently created. The very first thing I thought of was the movie "A Bug's Life" and Mos Eisley's cantina in Star Wars. It created an instant connection between the viewer and the image.

Purple People Eater by Doug Brown was another eye catcher. All he did was change the color and an instant hit was made. Who doesn't know the song "Purple People Eater"? And then Denise Ippolito's Tiger Kitty Under the Glass. It made me laugh, and it was almost believable.

In conclusion, I would like to encourage everyone on BPN to come up with something to contribute to this forum. Break out of the box, do something different, and grow your artistic vision.

denise ippolito
05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Grady, First of all thank you very much for taking the time to be our judge and to be a part of this Forum. The people here in OOTB have a sense of humor and creativity that I find to be very rewarding. You were a very good sport and I hope you will be joining us more often! You did a great job as I knew you would!! Don't be a stranger!!!:) Once again thankyou!

Kerry, You are just killing with these OOTB images!!! Big Congratulations-your image will be the wildcard pick for IOTW -Goodluck!!
Harold Davis-Big Congrats! Those cows never looked so good!!
Jackie Schuknecht-Big Congrats!! Great looking image!
Mark Fuge-HM , Congratulations -well done!

And to all the other contestants! Great job!!! Thankyou all for joining in!!

Alfred, Doug, Gus -Thanks guys!!;)

Kerry Perkins
05-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Thank you Grady! I am getting a taste of judging myself this week and I know it is not easy. I appreciate your time and effort and immaculate good taste. :D But seriously, big thanks to you and to Denise for making this forum so engaging and popular. I've seen a big change in the images that are posted lately and it is great to break out of that box and let the imagination fly! Thanks also to all who are posting such cool images, I really enjoy seeing them. :)

Mark Fuge
05-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Enjoyable show, thanks for taking the time to present it and for the judging. There were many good images, I am happy to be amoung the leaders.

As for the gator, I am a newbee here in the southland and enjoy them whenever we have the time to view them. I have other interesting gator images that I will share over time and hope to create better ones with the help of those who choose to critique what we do.

Congrads to the winners and thanks to you Grady for a job well done.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks Grady for judging, you obviously put a lot of thought in to your picks. Hope to see you in OOTB and congrats to all the winners, and the participants too, because I think we all learn from the posts. Lots of creativity going on!

Dave Woeller
05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Congratulations to all. As always the entries were diverse and the imagination and skill demonstrated was top notch. I enjoyed being a part of it.

Harold Davis
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
thanks grady, and big congrats to all that joined in the fun.

Randy Stout
05-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Grady;

Thanks for your effort and thoughtful evaluation of the images. I know how hard it is to make that final cut!

Congratulations as well to all the contestants. Some wild and wacky stuff.

Randy