PDA

View Full Version : Bison in the Snow

Steve Patterson
05-03-2009, 08:19 AM
I consider this image a landscape even with the bison. I was trying to get an old western type feel to this photo. After converting to B&W and boosting contrast it still didn't look old to me. I played with it for a few days, and finally settled on using the red filter in PS. To my eye that did the trick. It seemed to make it look like old film, and gave it a gritty, grainy look.

From a June snow in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone National Park
Rebel xti 17-40 f/4 B+W cp filter
1/125 f/13 iso 400 +1/3

http://www.pbase.com/spatterson/image/98896076/original.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Hey Steve,
Nice job minimizing the sky and getting excellent seperation in the bison. The B&W conversion also adds to the feel. I don't mind the space behind the bison as it adds to the desolation of the scene and harshness of the environs. The distant trees also add substantially to the comp. I did explore a crop of the dark area on the left....and it did work for me ...but let's see what others chime in....so my only recommendation is to lighten the faces a bit.....I do realize that you may have lost it in the compression.......but seeing a bit more of the details in there will help. Nice job conveying the sense of mood and place.

Steve Patterson
05-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Hey Steve,
Nice job minimizing the sky and getting excellent seperation in the bison. The B&W conversion also adds to the feel. I don't mind the space behind the bison as it adds to the desolation of the scene and harshness of the environs. The distant trees also add substantially to the comp. I did explore a crop of the dark area on the left....and it did work for me ...but let's see what others chime in....so my only recommendation is to lighten the faces a bit.....I do realize that you may have lost it in the compression.......but seeing a bit more of the details in there will help. Nice job conveying the sense of mood and place.

Thanks, Roman....I think the suggestion to lighten the bison faces is right on. Thanks for the help.

Grady Weed
05-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Dances With Wolves. Thats what I thought of when I saw this one. If I could be born in a different time and place it would be then, the old west. Riding the great plains, watching the immense herds of buffalo from daylight till dark, sometimes for days as they passed through an area. The great Sioux nation proudly hunting them. Your image reminded me of that, and more. I find the distance behind them balances out the foreground nicely. The trees on both sides of the image add depth, so does the sky above them. If you removed them it would detract. A slight brightening of the faces would improve that however. This is a well seen image that should be printed and framed for your guests to see. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Steve Patterson
05-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Grady,...thanks so much for such a nice compliment. I appreciate your comment, and the time to look at my photo very much. I am glad you enjoyed it.

AdamGrimm
05-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice shot Steve. Love the subject matter and the PS treatment.