PDA

View Full Version : Purification Fountain in Kyoto

Mirenchu Fernandez
05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3648/3495985814_01fbfc5cd3_b.jpg
Entering to a Shinto Shrine you will usually find a purification fountain where visitors who wish to pray should stop to cleanse themselves before proceeding further. The purification process is simple: Hold the dipper in your right hand and pour water from the fountain onto your left hand. Reverse the procedure to purify your right hand. More the dipper back to your right hand and pour a small amount of water into your left hand and bring the water to your mouth. Do not drink directly from the dipper or swallow the water, spit it out on the stones at the base of the purification fountain.
Now that you are free from impurities, bow to the altar twice, say your prayer, clap your hands together twice, and bow once again before you turn to leave.

Gus Cobos
05-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Very interesting story Mirenchu,
I like the close up view...How many people visit on a daily basis? :cool:

Mirenchu Fernandez
05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
In Japan there are Shinto Shrines very close one to another and you will see a lot of this kind of fountains everywhere. I can't tell you how many people visit on a daily basis but they are real busy and usually you have to wait for your turn to "purify" before entering to the shrine. This particular one is from a very little Shinto Shrine. By the way, the reason for clapping after praying is to get the Gods attention since doing it will give you more chances that they will answer your prayers!
Too bad I didn't ask to be an excellent photographer like you when I was there...

Jackie Schuknecht
05-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Neat shot and story Mirenchu. Thanks for posting. How long were you in Japan?

Mirenchu Fernandez
05-03-2009, 02:50 PM
You are very welcome! I was there for about 2 weeks. It was very nice.

Alfred Forns
05-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Excellent image Mirenchu Perfect framing and framing !!!

Had no idea about the purification process Thanks