PDA

View Full Version : Simplicity II

Mike Fuhr
05-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I found more vines in the woods behind my house -- I thought this one was interesting. I think I need a bit more DOF.

D50
100-300
300mm
F/5 (.67)
1/250
tripod

Julie Kenward
05-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Mike, I think you're right. I have tried my hand at these before and I think f8-11 was where I ended up. Also, not sure if it's the jpeg compression but it looks like the BG has a bit of posterization going on. Can you see it online?

Mike Fuhr
05-02-2009, 08:41 PM
What do you mean by posterization?

Julie Kenward
05-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Posterization is (basically) when the colors in an image (especially many shades of one color) separate into 'bands' of color and lose the normal flow of light to dark. This happens for several reasons and it's present here (probably due to jpeg compression on the upload but it could be other factors as well.) If you look where the lightest green shades of your image start to transition to the darker ones you'll be able to see actual bands of color progressing from the lighter to the darker areas. Google "posterization in digital photographs) and you can read more on it. Here's a link as well:

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/14387.aspx

My guess is we're seeing it online and you're not seeing it in the original because if jpeg compression. I find it happens with my images when I have a smooth BG like yours - they tend to show it off more than one that is a bit busier (although, as you know, we all prefer the smooth BG!)

Hope that helps...

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey Mike,
Very nice job on the comp. did you try lighting the water drop with a flash or flashlight from the side or behind? Could be an interesting effect to play with.

Ed Vatza
05-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Interesting composition. I don't think you are far off with dof but maybe a bit more wouldn't hurt. As for the posterization, it may be one of those "now you see it, now you don't" things. Looking at the image, I think I see it; then it seems to disappear before my eyes, then I see it again. Tricky.

Mike Fuhr
05-03-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm glad you said that, Ed. I thought I needed new glasses (or more sleep). :)

I ran out of good sunlight, but I will try/experiment with other lighting types. Stay tuned...

Fabs Forns
05-04-2009, 06:05 PM
If you worked your file in 8 bit vs. 16 bit, there's your reason for the posterization.

Mike Moats
05-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey Mike, I like the subject and the comp, good details and BG.

Don Berendsen
05-09-2009, 03:53 AM
This image immediately caught my eye when looking at this forum, nice capture Mike! That bit of vine has an exquisite shape and the soft, simple background really shows it off well.

One aspect of the comp which I found a bit uncomfortable is the relationship of the vine to edges of the picture frame, and especially the drop on the bottom. It's so close to the base that it feels constrained, almost held up by the force of the bottom of the frame. I added a bit of breathing room at the bottom and cropped the top and sides to make the relationship of the rest of the vine to the picture frame a bit more dynamic.

Hope this gives you some good ideas!

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1725/simplicity1a.jpg

Mike Fuhr
05-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Interesting thought -- I like the extra space at the bottom -- it does open it up. Thanks for the idea.