PDA

View Full Version : Herring Gull

Indranil Sircar
05-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I took this few days ago with overcast sky. From the markings I think this is a second year Herring Gull. This also is my first one with clipped wing repaired! (thanks to Robert's APTATS CD). I liked the color and the details on this gull to be tempted to repair rather than trash it.

40D, Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm hand held
1/1250 sec, f/6.3 Mode: Av Metering: Evaluative Exp comp: +1 ISO: 400

In addition to clipped wing repair, used s/h, curves and selective sharpening. Let me know what you think. Also, is this too tight on the frame? This is almost fullframe - added canvas on the bottom and right.

~ Indranil

Stu Bowie
05-02-2009, 02:35 PM
You certainly have captured lovely detail in this, especially on the beak, head, and eye. I like the show of the full wing on the downstroke, and stands out nicely against the sky. I feel the gull is flying at a unusual angle, so a bit of CCW would help him on his way.

Indranil Sircar
05-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Stuart, thanks for the feedback.

I feel the gull is flying at a unusual angle, so a bit of CCW would help him on his way.

The gull was soaring upwards when I took this shot which is why this awkward angle. I could not seem to like any of the other alternatives as I tried with CCW rotation. I guess the angle of the beak and eye does not align well when pointing downwards. In this case, I have the eye contact and decided to keep the beak horizontal as shot.

Doug Brown
05-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Nice job with the repair Indranil! Maybe you could post the pre-repair version too? Lovely detail and nice wing position. The exposure looks pretty good too. In addition to some CCW rotation, I'd add a bit of canvas at the bottom and some on the left.

Indranil Sircar
05-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks Doug, here is the original. I will work on the CCW and post another version next in this thread...

Indranil Sircar
05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Here is with 14 deg CCW...

Doug Brown
05-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Much better Indranil!

Dave Barnes
05-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Well done on the PP here you can not see the line where the wing was added.
Super detail on the feathers, I like the comp as is.