PDA

View Full Version : Long-tailed Silky Flycatcher

Dan Brown
05-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Captured in Costa Rica while sipping coffee at Greg Basco's friends home near the Savegra Mountain Hotel. Cropped and PP'ed in ACR and CS3.

Camera Model: NIKON D300, tripod mounted
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Optional,TTL
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D
Focal length: 400mm
Focal length: 600mm (in 35mm film)
VR Image Stabilization: On
AF mode: AF-C

David Ornstein
05-02-2009, 09:32 AM
This is a beautiful image, Dan. Congratulations on the capture. The technical aspects are all superb but it's the colors and tack-sharpness of the bird that grab my eye. I'd like to see a version that's a bit tighter on the bird -- perhaps 1/4 off the top and 1/5 off the left. (I don't have the experience that many here on BPN do, so I'm offering my observations and feelings as opposed to a formal constructive critique.)

Juan Aragonés
05-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Dan it seems to me that this is a heavy crop because it lacks some details in the plumage or maybe it is due to the processing job (noise reduction?). I really love the bird´s position and the neat eye contact and I like the perch but the out of focus one in the lower left corner is a bit distracting. Perhaps you can do some color warming because the light seems to be a bit overcasted. Hope to see more images from that trip and Pura Vida :-D

Juan Aragonés
05-02-2009, 11:14 AM
...I don't have the experience that many here on BPN do, so I'm offering my observations and feelings as opposed to a formal constructive critique....

David we all are interested in hear other members opinions and feelings about our images and yours is wellcomed and appreciated :)

Stu Bowie
05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
The comp works well, and you have captured a lovely pose with a great head turn. Some areas of the wing and tail seem to have had some NR run over it. I would tone down the lower part of the perch.

Victor Soares
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
What a gorgeous little bird ! I agree with Stuart on the branch, but other than that I really like the surroundings and the composition and head pose work like a charm. Very well done !

Greg Basco
05-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi, Dan. I'm glad that someone got a nice image of this guy. I agree with Juan that noise reduction may have robbed you of some detail in the bird. I'd be interested to see a repost if you have the chance. I like the composition a lot and personally am not bothered by the OOF Fuchsia flowers though I certainly understand the point.

Cheers,
Greg

Roy Priest
05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Dan, lovely image. I like the way my eye is drawn immediately to the bird. It seems like I just don't notice anything else, the bird just pops. Wonderful.

David Ornstein
05-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I guess I haven't yet looked at enough truly sharp images. I thought the bird in this one was very sharp, yet posts after mine mention lack of detail. Please tell what "grabs your eyes" and tells you some detail just isn't there. Thanks!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
05-03-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi Dan!
At least you got an image of the bird - I didn't see more than it's backside....
Have to agree that there seems to be a little loss of detail but the flowers don't bother me at all - I think that they add to the image.
Best,
Nicki

Simon Bennett
05-03-2009, 04:33 AM
Gorgeous bird and image.