PDA

View Full Version : East Point Light

Dave Woeller
05-02-2009, 07:58 AM
This started out as an infrared image. I wasn't quite pleased with the whites after the channel swap, so I applied a touch of Topaz adjust filter to it. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Bruce Murden
05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Your treatment gives it both a ghostly look and slightly metallic. I get the sense of a deserted lighthouse, which is odd with the flags out front. I really like the comp with the FG grasses, swatch of beach, lighthouse, and sky layers, as well as placement of lighthouse and flags. My personal preference is for more whites in the clouds, and some more shadow detail in the top of the light tower. Otherwise, I really enjoy this image.

denise ippolito
05-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Dave, Has a real serene look to it. I like your composition and the treatment applied-Well done.

Harold Davis
05-02-2009, 07:22 PM
hey dave. love the composition here. i remember your dunes from the other day and this one seems to have the same problem. it lacks density. or it is a little flat. i pumped it up a little. tell me what you think. not perfect, but a start i think. boosted the brightness and contrast along with the blacks.

Dave Woeller
05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone, and I agree completely with the comments.
Harold, Your repost is more than just a start, it really starts to bring it to life. Now if I can fiddle a bit with the detail in the tower, I may be able to salvage this image. Thanks to all for the help.

Julie Kenward
05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Dave, I think right between your flat image and Harold's high contrast image might just be the best of both worlds. I love the effect the Topaz gave to this and the composition is very intriguing but the first image was too "muddy" for my taste and the second, although better, feels a bit harsh in the contrast. Sprinkle a little of what Harold did and I think you'll have a winner here.

Michael Pancier
05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I like the treatment Harold got except on the lighthouse. I like the way your lighthouse came out with more detail esp. in the blacks/shadows. The original is flat though. What kind of lighting did you have when you shot it? IR needs bright contrasty light for maximum effect...