05-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Taken in Khama Rhino Sanctuary, Botswana, 1st March 2009

EOS 1D MkIII

500mm F4 IS hand-held

F7.1, 1/500, ISO 800

Sabyasachi Patra
05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Ken,
I like the angle of the shot and the composition. The grass in the mouth and the bird on top is nice.

I think the ears have been cut for identification purposes. I hate it.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

DanWalters
05-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I like the head on view and the placement of the rhino.

David Thomasson
05-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I like the angle. Wonderful detail in that tank-like hide. If you work with levels or curves a bit, you can bring (and the overall color) out nicely.

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/9333/rhino.jpg

Ken Watkins
05-02-2009, 11:26 PM
David,

Whilst your post may "bring out" more colour, It results in a reddish brown Rhino. Rhinos and this one in particular are generally a slate grey colour although coloration can range from yellowish brown to slate grey. You may sometimes see odd colours resulting from the colour of the earth in which they mud bathe.

David Thomasson
05-03-2009, 09:28 AM
David,

Whilst your post may "bring out" more colour, It results in a reddish brown Rhino. Rhinos and this one in particular are generally a slate grey colour although coloration can range from yellowish brown to slate grey. You may sometimes see odd colours resulting from the colour of the earth in which they mud bathe.

Thank you, Ken. I certainly yield to you on what these creatures look like. I've never seen one!

But I think that the reddish brown appearance of the re-post is heightened by comparison with the original, which has a slight cyan cast. Note that in one of the darkest spots on the image marked here, there's clearly a tilt toward cyan. There are no whites in the image from which to set white point, of course. But in the deepest shadow areas, as here, you can safely set black point, which in this case corrects that slight cyan cast.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2271/rhinofix.jpg

Stu Bowie
05-03-2009, 12:31 PM
I like the eye contact in this, together with the grass in the mouth. Your comp works well Ken, and well captured.

Ken Watkins
05-04-2009, 04:46 AM
David,

That is very technical and probably correct, but I still think the colours look more "natural" in my post.

Thanks to everybody else for their kind comments.

D. Robert Franz
05-05-2009, 08:57 AM
A nice clean image here. Either version works for me....