PDA

View Full Version : Drobo - Sync Multiple folders?

Lance Peters
05-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Got my Drobo the other day - very simple to setup and use.

I am using it as a backup device - with a set of folders on my computer and the same set of folders on the drobo.

Anyone know of a program that will sync multiple folders - whilst also comparing the dates so that any modified files will get updated along with any newly added files. Would also be good if it could be scheduled for a certain time.

Anyone using anything???

Dave Taylor
05-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Perhaps Retrospect?
http://www.retrospect.com/
It came on a couple of drives I bought a few years ago & it has been upgraded since then. I honestly can't say that I ever used it, because at the time I didn't know the importance. I've been handling all of my backups manually - but I'm going to be picking up a Drobo soon as well.

Lance Peters
05-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi Dave - thanks - think I might have found something Handy Backup - looks like it will do everything that I want it to.
Drobo does seem to be good - wont know how good until a drive fails - keeping multiple backups still.

Roger Clark
05-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Lance,
On linux I use rsync (should be available for macs I would think). For windows, try synctoy (google synctoy and you'll find it).

Chris Ober
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Also for windows... Robocopy - Command line, available free from MS and is part of the resource kit. You can schedule a batch file to run periodically or execute manually.

Cliff Beittel
05-12-2009, 05:35 PM
SyncToy is working great for me since I discovered its secret. When I tried to backup Drive A to Drive B, the files got copied OK, but there was always a worrisome error with one of the files SyncToy creates to track your files. All it took to fix the problem was creating a master folder on each drive, into which all other folders were moved. Now I backup Drive A: Images to Drive B: Images and the program works flawlessly.

Alfred Forns
05-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Lance I use Synchornize Pro X Not sure if its available for Windows, has worked well for me.