PDA

View Full Version : Mating lions

Vincent Grafhorst
01-30-2008, 11:47 PM
These lovers really did not mind us being only a few metres away from them. Every 15 minutes or so the male would get up, walk over to the female and within two minutes the act would be over, ending in a pose like this, combined with some heavy roaring. Unfortunately it was an overcast day...

Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana

Canon 40D, EFS 17-85mm @ 35mm, ricebag
1/400sec @ f6.3, iso 400, full frame

http://www.khwaiphotography.com

Jasper Doest
01-31-2008, 02:40 AM
Hi Vince,

Good to see you here. ....a shorter focal lenght...nice.....it makes a big difference...as we're used to see only telephoto wildlife images from Africa. This must have been very impressive to witness. The pose is briliant....Now all you have to do is to build a construction with a remote so that you can photograph from a lower angle.

Vincent Grafhorst
01-31-2008, 02:54 AM
Jasper, I fully agree with you that a lower angle would have created an image with much more impact. For a moment I had the idea to lie under my vehicle, but remembered a horror story I heard of lions pulling someone from out under a vehicle after fleeing there for safety! I'm still working on a design to approach this safely...

Cheers

Jasper Doest
01-31-2008, 04:35 AM
It shouldn't be that difficult to design something.....they use arms for video shoots at hight....so a small version of such an arm with a remote should work, shouldn't it? Especially if you could use the live-view function, which is able to transmit the live-view directly to your laptop.....

Krijn Trimbos
01-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Lovely shot Vincent, but I agree a lower shooting angle would have made it so much better! I don't know about you guys but when I am busy like this I tend not to be too occupied with stuff around me.:D What I am trying to say is that maybe this is the best situation for you to come fairly close and low at the same time without a set-up.

Cheers

Vincent Grafhorst
01-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Are you sure Krijn??? Just after this boy finishes he is full of adrenaline and has this look on his face! No he did not show any aggression to us as such, but he is just all reved up and when a dangerous animal is in such a state, even though it is for a brief moment, it's better not to do anything foolish. A set-up like Jasper is talking about is definitely required! And Jasper my main constraints are not technical, but time and money.... ;)

Georgina Salup
01-31-2008, 07:46 AM
I love it! Yes, the low angle would have being more impacting, but at this height you have more changes to get away...Beautiful shot.

Fabs Forns
01-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Very interesting and well done image :)

D. Robert Franz
02-02-2008, 10:43 AM
My suggestion for thsi image (which is very nice) would be a little less sky. It doesn't add much interest and attracts my eye a bit.