PDA

View Full Version : Dark Morph Red-tailed Hawk

Lauren Sobkoviak
01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
On Christmas Day, I came across this Buteo jamaicensis sitting on a fence post. After creating a few images of it on the post, the bird took off and as it flew past me. I was then able to acquire this photograph. The image was made with a Canon Digital Rebel and a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM at full zoom with Mode 1 stabilization on.

The sun was lowering in the west (behind me) and about three hours from setting. The cloud cover was about 80 percent with the west being clear. I set the camera to Av at f/6.3 which gave me a shutter speed of 1/1000 second. I used One Shot autofocus on the center sensor only (I did upload a hacked bios shortly after the warranty expired on my camera), panning with the bird as it flew by.

The crop is approximate 60 percent of the original 6 megapixel image.

Maxis Gamez
01-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Hello Lauren and welcome to BPN.

You did well with the exposure and details on the Hawk. The wings position are ideal but the BG really takes away from your subject.

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi Lauren,

Great wing position. The image looks rather drab on my monitor, did you convert it sRGB for web display?

It would benefit from some curves and it could use some ore cropping at the top for a stronger composition.

Big welcome to BPN :)

James Salywoda
01-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Nice details and wing position I agree with Maxis on the bg being alittle distracting though....