PDA

View Full Version : Anteating chat

Vincent Grafhorst
01-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Singing anteating chat (myrmecocichla formicivora)
Khama Rhino Sanctuary, Botswana

Canon 40D+EF500/4, ricebag
1/500 sec @ f6.3, iso 200
cropped to 4:3 from left, height is full frame
cloned out small branch in BRC

http://www.khwaiphotography.com

Tony Whitehead
01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Lovely picture of this bird vocalising. The feather texture and detail is lovely. I would like a little more room below the bird and maybe a little off the top and left to put the eye at a 1/3. I might be tempted to remove the branch on the left. That background is amazingly smooth

Axel Hildebrandt
01-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Great pose, light, details and smooth complementing BG. I agree with Tony regarding putting the bird higher in the frame but would leave the second branch. To be very picky, it looks as if there is a very slight S/H halo.

Vincent Grafhorst
01-31-2008, 07:02 AM
Axel I did not even use the S/H tool... I hardly do and regard this as very dangerous tool that can easily ruin an image. Maybe what you see has something to do with sharpening?

Blake Shadle
01-31-2008, 07:14 AM
Very nice image, and agree that he should be a little higher in the frame. I like the second branch, it adds a lot of weight to the left side of the frame, and really make the right side feel open.

Glenn Bartley
01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Very nice lighting and pose. Personally I would crop this to vertical and then add some room on the bottom. I think you could clone in the branches to extend them through the added canvas (if this is within your ethical comfort zone).

Robert O'Toole
01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Very nice vincent.

Instead of the previous comments I would rather see a crop to take the bird to the left more, up a little would not hurt either. The empty space to the left doesnt do much for the image.

Robert