PDA

View Full Version : A different look

Bogdan Coltea
05-01-2009, 03:53 PM
This is Hepatica Transsilvanica, an endemic species found only in the Carpathians.
The Romanian name is "Crucea Voinicului" (Brave man's cross).

Hope you like it. C&C welcome

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8219/mg8487.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mg8487.jpg)

350D + Tamron 70-200 + 12mm ext. tube
ISO200, f/16

PS:
I cannot attach the image inside the thread, the "Manage attachments" option is missing.
I used imageshack instead and there is a bit of softening. The original is quite sharp.

Julie Kenward
05-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Hello Bogdan! I can't remember if you've posted in macro/flora before...forgive me. If not, then welcome!

I do like the image very much. I really enjoy the play of the soft petals against the hard rock and the way the rock rises on one side of the image. You have really nice details throughout and it all works. Only possible suggestion I could offer is to see if you like it with a sliver off the top of the frame, bringing the flower a little more towards the top...otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

Bruce Murden
05-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Bogdan, this is a lovely image! Your color combinations are wonderful, and the flower's purple and green really pop off the screen. This rock was a good choice, with the curve along the bottom, and the shadowy LR corner which also gives depth to the image. This is a real winner!

Bogdan Coltea
05-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Thank you Julie and Bruce.

I did post a few images in the macro/flora section a while back.

Only possible suggestion I could offer is to see if you like it with a sliver off the top of the frame

I'm not sure what you mean about the silver part.

denise ippolito
05-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Bogdan,, I really like the flower color and details. I think your composition is interesting. Well done.

Anita Bower
05-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Beautiful. Great color. Nice contrast between the smooth, soft petals and the rough, hard rock. And, what a great flower!

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Bogdan,
I too like the contrast in textures and tones. For me .....I may lighten the shadow area a bit, as there appears to be detail.....but agree it adds some depth. Well done.

Ed Vatza
05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Hello Bogdan,

Since I don't think anyone directly answered your "silver" question, I will try. Something was lost in the translation. Julie commented about a SLIver and not SILver. A sliver is a very thin piece. She was suggesting that you crop a very thin piece from the top of the image.

Now for my comments. The flower is very pretty and very sharp. Nice details. The color looks great as well. The background is perfect. I like the combination of the warmth of the flower and the coldness of the rock. Not to contradict Julie, but rather than cropping the top, I think you could crop some from the bottom. There just seems to be too much there for my tastes. It becomes a rock with a flower rather than a flower with a rock.

Bogdan Coltea
05-04-2009, 04:17 AM
Thank you for your comments.

And thank you Ed for explaining the "sliver" bit to me (I didn't know the word :o )