PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Marigolds

Bruce Murden
05-01-2009, 12:19 AM
From the same little bit of woods where I found the skunk cabbage (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35306), we had some isolated clumps of Marsh Marigolds (Caltha palustris) growing. I stepped outside of my comfort zone (rut?) and worked with the BG reflections, rather than limited DOF on the flowers only. I didn't have a polarizer, so I couldn't control the how much reflection or transmission (stuff beneath the surface) I got, so the BG may be a bit too busy. What do you think?

Nikon D80, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 macro @ f/32, 1/5 s, ISO 200, tripod, no filters, processing in LR2

Mike Moats
05-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't know how you have so much to shoot as I have nothing yet at stony creek:confused:
Any was nice comp and good details.

denise ippolito
05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Bruce, This is a very nice composition with the reflection of the trees in the BG. I like the way your flower stem bends-

Julie Kenward
05-01-2009, 07:21 PM
I like it Bruce. It is busy and a lot to look at but it's very well composed and everything has nice detail to it. I do think you could shave a little off the very top of the frame...maybe come down to the top edge of the bubble on the ULC? Just a thought...

Anita Bower
05-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I think the BG is a bit busy for my taste, but, b/c the bright colors of the flowers and leaves help pull them forward away from the BG. I like the various diagonal lines, and the curving stems. I might have tried to include a bit more to the left. I like the dark tones.

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey Bruce,
Yep.....I'm with Anita on this one.Too much for me too in the BG. It is interesting though, as this is the blooms environs. I too have tried this comp of the whole bloom...so far unsuccesful. You are much closer than I have been.

Ed Vatza
05-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I really like the concept behind this image, Bruce. I do agree that the background is a little too busy. And I do wish those blooms were leaning forward just a bit more.