PDA

View Full Version : Thinking II

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-30-2009, 07:54 PM
As I mentioned yesterday, the females of this species is very cute, today I am presenting the male.

As we can see there is sexual dimorphism in this species but is one of those exceptions where both individuals are handsome.

Canon 30D
Canon 35-350@320mm
ISO 200
AV
Tripod
Pop up flash at 0
f/5.6 (very bad!)
1/30 sec. (also very bad!)
Not too sure if I focused on the back or where!:confused:

(Red-headed Barbet)

Axel Hildebrandt
04-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I like the head angle and clean BG and would sharpen the plumage on the back a bit less.

Randy Stout
04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Juan:

Agree with Axel about the sharpening. The feathers on the back are starting to get a grainy look from the sharpening.

For my taste, the image is just a bit bright as presented, and I would try to tone down the brightest spots on the right middle.

In a perfect world, I wish the stick wasn't standing up behind him.

Really, a lovely bird.

Randy

Randy Stout
04-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Juan:

I took the liberty of a couple of tweaks on your image.

The main work was to tone down the background a bit.

I also did some minor work on the extra reflections in the eye.

Just an option for you to consider. I do think it helps the bird stand out a bit more.

Randy

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi Randy.

Very nice treatment, I agree with you and Axel about sharpness. I guess sharpness is becoming an issue for me, I don't find a good way on how to apply the right amount.

The eye also looks better now.

Thank you for your input.

Peter Hawrylyshyn
04-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Juan -
agree with Alex and Randy's comments
can i ask where the photos were taken in CR - where they near a feeder?
PH

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Peter.

The pictures were taken in the Heredia province, in a place called ''El Plastico'', in the locality of Sarapiqui. This is in the middle elevations and these birds love it there since there is plenty of food for them.

I took the pictures from a sort of ''house-made blind'', I will upload a picture later if you promise not to laugh.

No, there was no feeder, I was very lucky tough.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-01-2009, 12:07 AM
If anything, the light blobs in the BG are a little, little, distracting, but the bird is stunning, very sharp and has a great pose. You could touch up the tip of the broken off twig to the left of the bird. Well caught buddy. Lovely male.

Steve Canuel
05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
A striking bird. Such vibrant colors. Nice pose you captured. Focus looks ok to me. Sharpening mentioned. I'd also like to see it a little darker but that's personal taste. Nice job at that speed.

Stu Bowie
05-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Amazing colours shown on this guy, and a great head angle. Nit covered on oversharpening, and I find the highlight in the BG a little distracting, but can be easily fixed.

Simon Bennett
05-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Excellent pose and eye contact - stunning bird.