PDA

View Full Version : St. Mary's Lake, Glacier National Park

Steve Patterson
04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
I only joined the forum this week, so I hope it is OK to post an older image. This is from Sept. of 2007. If older images are frowned upon, someone please let me know. When I arrived at the classic spot for this shot the lake was so calm I almost paniced knowing it wouldn't last. I have never seen this lake dead calm. I did get a 15 minute window to take a variety of shots before the breeze came up and the magic was gone. I look forward to C and C. I think it is beautiful, but maybe too much of a "postcard shot". I did really enjoy the opportunity to take this photo, regardless of the final product. The right place at the right time.

40D (2 days old at the time of this photo) 17-40 f/4 CP filter
1/125 f/11 @ 29mm iso 400 -1/3

http://www.pbase.com/spatterson/image/86443182&exif=N/original.jpg

Rene Quenneville
04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Beautiful image. Older image is fine with me. Especialy when they ar nicely done as this one. Composition is well done. There seems to be less intensity on the left site. If you crop about 20% of the width (left) the image gains in dynamism. On my monitor, I see a little blue cast. Well done!

Mark Hopgood
05-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Steve

An excellent capture. Yes it is pretty in a postcard type of way, however, to my eye that means you have accurately portrayed the image in its most flattering aspect. I agree that the distant peaks have a blue cast but that is probably due to the amount of blue in the image. To remove all colour casts in some cases does not truly reflect what was seen.

David Thomasson
05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Beautiful setting and a beautiful capture. I would go after the blue cast, but selectively. Especially in the russet tones on the right, I think removing the cast would improve those. Also, but to a lesser degree, in the shadows of the hills on the left. The blue of the sky and its reflection are fine, of course, so you don't want to mess with those!

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5601/lake.gif

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8589/lakeh.jpg

Steve Patterson
05-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Rene, Mark and David...thanks for the nice words and comments.
David....you are much better than I am in PS (I am pretty much a beginner), and I really like what you did here. My version is more how I remember the view (lots of shadow), but I like your version better, especially on the right side. Thanks very much for the suggestion and the example.

Roman Kurywczak
05-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Steve,
I am OK with the postcard view and find it very pleasing.....I may prefer somewher in between your presentation and Davids........as far as cool and warm tones are concerned. I would recommend the digital removal/burning of the snow/light area in the L ROT FG.....just eliminates another distraction. Nicely done.

Jay Gould
05-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Steve, your image certainly does justice to Glacier NP; been there a few times. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Beautiful setting and a beautiful capture. I would go after the blue cast, but selectively. Especially in the russet tones on the right, I think removing the cast would improve those. Also, but to a lesser degree, in the shadows of the hills on the left. The blue of the sky and its reflection are fine, of course, so you don't want to mess with those!David you are nothing short of a magician! I just had the pleasure of cybering through your website; the About Retouching section is...simply..fun to watch the changes.

Now, if you could only figure out how to "trim a little flab" in real life as easily as moving a mouse - that WOULD be magic! :D

Always enjoy your reposts; I am a beginner to PS - you set the bar very high for all of us to attempt to achieve.

Cheers,

David Thomasson
05-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Steve, your image certainly does justice to Glacier NP; been there a few times. Thanks for sharing your experience.

David you are nothing short of a magician! I just had the pleasure of cybering through your website; the About Retouching section is...simply..fun to watch the changes.

Now, if you could only figure out how to "trim a little flab" in real life as easily as moving a mouse - that WOULD be magic! :D

Always enjoy your reposts; I am a beginner to PS - you set the bar very high for all of us to attempt to achieve.

Thank you, Jay. No magic to it. Just lots of playing and experimenting.

Colin Knight
05-02-2009, 08:42 PM
That's a fantastic shot. No improvements to make that I can think of....not at all. Great stuff!

Colin