PDA

View Full Version : Long-billed Corella flying to roost.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
I created this image of a once non-resident (in Sydney) in the dead of winter last year (July) just before the sun dipped below the mountains hence the warmth in the light. Not sure what you folks think of the color temp, but it is pretty much how the small flocks appeared in the orange/red light that evening. Anyway, these parrots roost near a big shopping complex not far from home and I love visiting and checking them out. The only downside is that it is VERY noisy!

30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4x, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/2500th. Almost full frame. Hope you like my "little" Corella. :)

Randy Stout
04-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Akos:

Very soft light as you said. Bird is sharp with just a little sharpening halo under the lower mandible on my monitor, and along the belly. Looks like a little noise in the background.

The near wing displays well, wish we could see more of the rear.

From a composition stand point, I might wish a little less room in rear, little more in front.

I might also try a slightly lighter rendition of the image. Not much, just a touch.

Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Anita Rakestraw
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Akos, I would pretty much agree with Randy's assessment. You did a good job of getting the noise out of the bird it looks like; maybe you could select only the sky and get more noise out of it?

Marina Scarr
04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi "Arkosh:

What lovely light you have captured in this image. I did notice the noise in the BG which I think is pretty easy to remedy. Agree on a slight crop from the left but don't see any need for more canvas anywhere else.

You did well to capture this bird in flight. Love the way the entire underwing is lit up with gorgeous light. The parrots over here are prety irratic in their flight and difficult to capture.

THanks for sharing.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I like the light and eye contact. I wish the far wing were higher up. What do you mean by noisy, the image or the birds? :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Axel, the birds! Darn noisy. Man, you gotta come to Oz and hear the parrots. Freaking annoying things in places, though absolutely gorgeous. (the Lorikeets are shocking, the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos are no better either, and these guys....well, another bunch of annoying screech machines!) :) I do love 'em though.

And you guys are right, I could have reduced the noise a little more in the BG, somethin' which I started doing as I learned it RIGHT HERE ON BPN!

Axel Hildebrandt
04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Axel, the birds! Darn noisy. Man, you gotta come to Oz and hear the parrots. Freaking annoying things in places, though absolutely gorgeous. (the Lorikeets are shocking, the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos are no better either, and these guys....well, another bunch of annoying screech machines!) :) I do love 'em though.

And you guys are right, I could have reduced the noise a little more in the BG, somethin' which I started doing as I learned it RIGHT HERE ON BPN!

Australia is pretty high up on my wishlist. I've seen so many beautiful birds photographed in Australia here on BPN that I really want to go there sometime.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Hope you can make it Axel, you will not regret it at all buddy! It's a really great continent. But huge, so get your itinerary and details well organized before you venture down here.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Hola seňor Lumnitzer!

Muy buena foto!

I really like that warm light but would also like to see it a bit desat.

I am fine composition wise. And yes, the BG needs extra NR. Great image any ways.

Steve Canuel
05-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Nice critique by Randy. I like the warm light. Looks like a nicely colored bird. Got any more in different types of lighting?

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Nice critique by Randy. I like the warm light. Looks like a nicely colored bird. Got any more in different types of lighting?

Yes Sir, I can make you sick with images. :) Thank you kindly for looking. I'll endeavor to post another one soon in slightly brighter light, not as warm. :)

Stu Bowie
05-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Sweet, sweet light Akos, and love the colour on the parrot that it has created. Lovely detail on the nearer wing. I would maybe move him back to the left a bit. Still, well captured mate.