PDA

View Full Version : Iridescence

Judd Patterson
01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
http://www.juddpatterson.com/BPN/web1.jpg

Canon EOS 5D, Canon 300mm f/4 IS
1/250 sec, f/4.5, ISO 400
handheld, manual focus

I created this image in Everglades National Park last weekend when I came across a group of approximately 10 spider webs glowing in the late afternoon sun. They were set up in a bit of an insect flyway. The webs would glow with some wild iridescent colors as they moved in the wind. Light was low and it was difficult to capture the fleeting iridescence. I'm not sure the species yet, but it's a Long-Jawed Orb Weaver of some kind.

You just never know what you are going to find when you go out with a camera and open eyes!

Blake Shadle
01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Judd, your work in the glades has been outstanding. This is no exception. The iridescence of the web leads you right to your subject. Great work.

John Cooper
01-31-2008, 02:27 AM
I like the unusual effect that you've created here Judd. Its almost like looking down a well with the spider at the bottom!! and the strip of iridescence gives the impression of a spotlight shining on the spider! A spider shot with a difference!!

Matthew Pugh
01-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi
I like this idea and think you have probably captured the look you were after. Being critical, I do find this image very visually strong upon the right side of the frame, probably to the detriment of the left side. Which makes me wonder whether this was the strongest composition available to bring out the subject and light combination
Food for thought perhaps - and an enjoyable image regardless
All the best
Matthew

Mike Moats
01-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey Judd, very creative lighting, and the rainbow adds a really nice touch. Well done.