PDA

View Full Version : Large Tooth Aspen Skeleton

Mike Moats
04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Shot this morning, found a bunch of large tooth aspen skeletons and put this one on the skunk cabbage leaf and sandwhiched it between plexiglass and held it up to the sun for some backlighting.

Fuji S5 Pro, Tamron 90 macro, F32, Tripod, Natural Light.

Lana Hays
04-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Mike
This is so interesting. You are definitely a "thinker and a tinker".

Ed Vatza
04-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Mike, I like the Aspen skeleton. And I like the Skunk Cabbage leaf. The color and texture is great. The sandwiching technique works well. And yet for some reason when I put it all together, it doesn't quite work for me. I keep feeling the background, the Skunk Cabbage leaf, should be more of a contrasting color or tone or something. I realize we are looking through the skeleton but something just does feel quite right and I'm having a hard time verbalizing it.

Julie Kenward
04-29-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm with Ed on this one...I like both - I like them separately - I like the idea and the lighting...so why don't I love it all together? I think it's the crop. I don't want to "see" in the literal sense the entire skunk cabbage leaf - I simply want it to be the BG to the skeleton Aspen. Maybe? Or am I off my game due to all the cold meds? That could be a distinct possibility as well.

denise ippolito
04-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Mike, I love the texture and the lines of the skunk cabbage leaf. I think the Aspen leaf is interesting. Not sure about the diagonal,maybe straight up the center.

Anita Bower
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Mike: What an interesting image and technique! Creative. I suggest you keep playing with this technique.

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey Mike,
Very cool technique! I love the backlit leaf and the skeleton. Would be interesting to see other versions of the leaf on a diagonal or maybe with the stem in the ROT position? either way....it's close now and I like this comp very much.