PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rica Hummingbird

Katie Rupp
04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
This image is from the Doug Brown and Greg Basco Costa Rica workshop. Dan Brown and Nicki Gwynn-Jones were there, too and it was a really great experience in every way. C&C encouraged and greatly appreciated.

Canon 40D; f6.3, 1/2000; Av, Eval -1/3; ISO 800 and -2 TTL flash

Doug Brown
04-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi Katie! I really enjoyed getting to know you over the 2 weeks of our Costa Rica trip. I think you came into your own photographically in a very challenging environment. I love the green of the bird against the yellow BG. Excellent sharpness too. The composition is perfect. I would desaturate the reds just a little. Was this taken at Savegre?

Dan Brown
04-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi Katie! What a great trip! It was great traveling with you and the rest of the group (a great group!). Very nice capture here. I think that this may be a Magnificent Hummingbird. I agree with Doug on the techs. Nice work:)

Jackie Schuknecht
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
You are giving Linda Robbins a run for her money:). Exquisite Katie, think you should post in the AVIAN section. Glad you had a great time. Saw your photo in F & F. Nice to get a name and a face together. Looking forward to more!

Gus Cobos
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi Katie,
A very nice capture indeed, agree with the good advise given...I see that the little guy is a wee bit over sharpened...and needs a tad of desaturation on the red channel...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Sweet capture and proud of you Katie !!! Just back down on the sharpening !!! Big Congrats !!!

denise ippolito
04-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Katie, Really nice!! Agree with techs given-This should be posted in Avian!! Very nice composition!

Katie Rupp
04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and agree that I may have oversharpened the downsized file before saving for the web and will pull back on the red channel. This was a really great trip, lots of work, lots of fun and I learned soooooo much. I've already signed up for next year!

Lance Peters
04-30-2009, 02:52 AM
Big congrats Katie - lovely image - just a tad to much sharpening for my personal tastes - love the composition - well done :)

Greg Basco
05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi, Katie. I agree with pulling back on the sharpening but other than that it looks great. I'm so happy to see that people got some good hummingbird images shooting with natural light and fill-flash in addition to those taken at the multi-flash setups. Great job on choosing your background (natural background that is) well by positioning yourself where you needed to be. This is indeed the magnificent hummingbird at a Fuchsia flower in the Savegre area.

Cheers,
Greg Basco