PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon on the shoreline

Bob Blanchard
01-30-2008, 08:47 PM
I was lying prone with the 600mm f/4 capturing some birds at Ding Darling a few weeks ago, and caught this fellow out the corner of my eye. I was obviously blocking the path he wanted to take, and was nervously moving toward me. I swung over and captured a few images before he broke my minimum focusing distance with the 600. He literally walked 2 feet in front of me on his way by after determining I was no threat. They are common out there, and very used to people....Just not crazy photographers who lay in their mud ;)

Canon 1DsMII, EF 600 f/4, f/10, 1/160, ISO 640

http://CatcherofLight.smugmug.com/photos/220270347-L.jpg

Jasper Doest
01-31-2008, 02:38 AM
Cute little fellow. I like the low angle....and focus....

Exposure seems good, although the highlights look a bit hot. I'd like to suggest you to spend some time to photograph these little fellows....You can always see the difference if a photographer spend time with a subject, or just photographed it by chance. And since they are common and very used to people it might be ideal to get some photographs with a shorter lens.

Vincent Grafhorst
01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Lovely creature and nice photo. I would only spend some more time on toning down the whites or as Jasper suggested on making more photographs of these raccoons, they must make great subjects if they are used to people and get this close. Just make sure you take a shorter lens with!

Alfred Forns
02-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Fully agree with taking the time with the little guys !!!! Got to love that face !!!!