PDA

View Full Version : Dark-eyed Junco

Gail Spitler
04-28-2009, 04:52 PM
I would appreciate a hard look for noise in this image. It is a significant crop with both LR2 and PS CS4 processing. Also is it over-sharpened?
All C & C's much appreciated
Thanks
Gail
Canon 50D with 100-400mm at 400mm, f/5.6, 1/1250 sec, Eval metering with 0 comp, ISO 500

Gus Cobos
04-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi Gail,
I like the composition, image and capture on this little guy...the head angle is dead on with good eye contact and an attitude...:D A few points to consider....you need to run another pass of noise reduction in the background, and the little fellow looks a tad over sharpened...aside from this, I like it...I also like the ultra low capture angle...good show...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Kerry Perkins
04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Gail, I love these little birds and know how hard it is to get a good capture. You did well with the low angle. Would suggest lowering the contrast, as you have some clipped whites on the bill and lost shadow detail on the breast. Sometimes reducing contrast and adding saturation brings back detail.

I don't think it looks over-sharpened, seems good to me.

Lance Peters
04-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Hi Gail - agree with Gus and Kerry - on my screen seems to be a bit of noise and lack of detail in the bird as well.
Is it a significant crop - also any P.S Retouching or Shadow Highlight??

Like the limited DOF.

Alfred Forns
04-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Sensory overload Gail !!! One fine little bird image Love the low angle Just the mentioned suggestions but you get a Big Congrats on this one !!!

Gail Spitler
04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys. I have begun to always run at least 2 NR passes on the 50D images, but tried to sneak this one passed. I'll follow up on Kerry's suggestion to lower contrast and increase saturation. I agree on the white on the bill - another thing I hoped to sneak passed you folks.
I really appreciate the detailed comments - it does help enormously.
Cheers
Gail