PDA

View Full Version : Purple Anemone

dawn campbell
04-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the responses on my first post, the red and white gerbera. It's nice to see that people are forthcoming with opinions and suggestions!

Here's a second try--this one I shot against a little lightbox (not a tent, a lightbox for viewing slides) from behind as I was experimenting with trying to get more transparency, something I still haven't achieved to the degree I want it, but it was still a worthwhile experiment doing this. You can buy these little lightboxes cheap off ebay--scrapbookers are using them these days.

Image was shot with a Canon Mark III and 100mm macro lens at f/22, 8s, ISO 100, no flash.

thanks for looking,
dawn

http://www.dawnleblanc.com/bpn/dawnleblanc_windflower1sm.jpg

Richard Lovison
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Wow, I like the color, drama and composition. Beautiful. The only suggestions I could offer is possibly bring up the shadow detail in the stamens and burn and selectively sharpen the lighter area in the upper left.

Bob Shaw
04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Wow is right! I might even try running the blur filter on all the petals just for fun. Richard is right about the stemens.... watch out for the high lights though. Beautiful pic.

Julie Kenward
04-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Wow, Dawn, this one is pretty impressive also! Love the deep dark color and the feel of transparency mixed together. I can see where more transparency would be another great image but this one certainly stands on its own.

Beautiful offset composition, too.

denise ippolito
04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Dawn, It's very lovely. I like the color hues and details-well done.

John Christian
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Looks good. I love the comp, but I am a sucker for an off-center comp.

Bruce Murden
04-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Dawn, I like your experimenting! Good idea with the lightbox backlighting. It gives us ideas to try for ourselves.

I'd look to get a little reflected light back into the center to bring up the detail (I think that method may provide a more interesting look that PS work to bring up the shadow highlights).

What subject will be next? Can't wait!

Anita Bower
04-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Stunning! Beautiful color, details and composition.

dawn campbell
04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions!

Ed Vatza
04-29-2009, 08:14 PM
The lightbox experiment definitely worked. I wish my experiments worked as well! ;)

Beautiful color. Beautiful detail. A beautiful flower captured beautifully.

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Dawn,
Very good advice given above on the shadow area.....but an easy fix to a very well composed image.