PDA

View Full Version : Caracara in Viera

Michael Stern
04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Greetings;
I Had the opportunity to visit Viera Wetlands and found a caracara that was kind enough to fly! My first one! Hope you like it and please feel free to comment...(I removed leg bands in PS plus some sharpening and sky treatment as it was mid day and was had very "flat" light!)
Best to All'
Michael

Specs:::
Canon 40D
Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
ISO: 400
Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Focal length: 400mm

Charlie VanTassel
04-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi Michael, Nice in flight photo. Whites seem a little hot. It looks like the detail is there and could be brought out using Shadows/Highlights command. Also, there is some artifact behind the tail that could use some cleanup.

Lance Peters
04-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Whites are a little hot - Mid day sun is not going to be the greatest. Softer light required to keep details in the blacks and not blow the whites.
Like the pose and the head turn towards you.

Dave Leroy
04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Good flight shot Michael. It is nice to see the eye contact and also nice to see the photo taken before the bird has passed by. I like the suggestion of some shadows/highlights action. It may also bring out some of the detail in the wind shadows.
Dave

Phil Ertel
04-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I like that you capture a pose with the wings raised. I also like the head does not blend into the wings or body. I might try and see if lightening the eye would help it stand out a little more. Thanks for sharing.

Ramon M. Casares
04-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Light was not on your side but the pose, colors and detail you managed to get are very nice, althought I do think a bit less NR could be better. Congratulations!