PDA

View Full Version : Now where has the Mrs. gotten too?

Randy Stout
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
This Goldfinch was 'hanging' out in my backyard over the weekend, and seemed to be having trouble keeping track of his mate. It was a very overcast day, with occasional moments of increased illumination. This image has some side lighting from when the clouds eased a bit. I rather like the extra definition it gave to the perch and beak.

The big question for me on this image is: Does the head merging with the perch kill it? I have a number of this guy, most with a merge, a few without, but this was my favorite overall.

Comments and thoughts appreciated.

D300 500mm f/4 at f/6.3 ISO 800 1/1000s SB800 with beamer -1.7 compensation.

Post in NX2

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Randy: You did really well with exposure, sharpness, detail and colors on this bird. The perch doesn't kill it, but it doesn't help it either. I wouldn't toss it. There's a minor issue with the eye having a couple of white spots that don't look right. You really captured some nice detail in this bird's feathers.

Gary Dumer
04-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I find the OOF Perch and Tail a bit Distracting But I would have also thought F 6.3 would have given enough DOF to Catch That!!

Grace Scalzo
04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
You know, I don't mind the intersecting bird and perch as much as I mind the oof feet and the pose and angle of the perch in the frame just feel awkward to me. I'd clean up the eye, and do a gausian blur on the bg to smooth it a bit. Share some more of this series, ok?

Stu Bowie
04-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Well exposed Randy, and showing great feather detail too. The perch doesnt bother me, as the finch is leaning towards you, thus moving your attention away from the perch. Thats how I see it.

Daniel Cadieux
04-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Randy, I have to admit I'm not crazy about the merging of perch/subject...but even more of an issue, for me anyways, is the angle of said perch. The vertical and forward lean to it is not ideal IMO - it feels like it is slowly falling over towards the right.

I do like the Goldfinch, it has a cute and perky pose. Neat plumage as it is regaining its breeding colours - always good to have those varying plumages in your files :-) Oh, and the bG is very complimentary to the overall image.