PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Just an Anhinga.

Bob Blanchard
01-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi all,

Sure am glad to read about this Forum in the BAA Newsletter! I definitely need the critiques! I'm new to Avian Imagery, so all help is welcome.

Thought I'd start by putting up one of my favorite images from the summer. I realize it's nothing exotic, but I like it. What I saw in this composition was an opportunity for some nice reflections during a very calm day in Lakes Park. I was there shooting Macro in the gardens, and decided to check out the bird action. Morning light was getting a bit intense (nearly 10 AM), but still shootable. I spotted this Anhinga sitting on a rock that was exposed in the middle of the water (the rock would normaly be under a few feet of water, but low water levels had exposed it). I noticed he was near the bridge, and that the light was well angled for this image. I quietly made my way up onto the bridge to a point where I'd have minimal shadow, even light, and proper angle to pull off the reflection I wanted. I used the Canon 1DsMII with the 100-400L. I framed the bird the way I wanted and locked the lens in at 160mm. The rest was up to the bird. I simply waited for him to give me several nice catch-light poses, and selected this one out of several. I preferred the over-the-shoulder look. To me, the most important aspect other than reading the light was to get the DOF right on this. I wanted the bird completely in focus, and the reflection as well. EXIF: Canon 1DsMII, Canon 100-400 f:/4.5-5.6L (locked at 160mm), 1/200, f/7.1, Hand held with bridge used as support.

I have submitted this to a couple contests, but haven't heard anything yet. I have done a lot of work since this shot, and am improving all the time. Please be brutally honest, as it's the only way I get better. I hope the info I posted is corect in the spirit of this forum. I am definitely a newbie! Thanks!

http://CatcherofLight.smugmug.com/photos/238489200-X3.jpg

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey Bob, welcome!!

Very cool image you posted here. The bird is beautiful and pretty neat reflection. I think where it loses some oompf is right under the right wing, the rock. If the water were not so clear and the rock under water wre not so visible that wolud take this to another level. As far as the technicals here, looks pretty spot on to me!

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Bob,

Big welcome to BPN. We will do our best to make this a great learning experience.

First, I'll say there are no common subjects but common images :) Every species has its beauty and it is up to us to make them look uncommon.
Although I am a fan of low angles whenever possible, I see what you were trying to do, besides being on a bridge.

I would crop a tiny bit off the right side and selectively sharpen the eye a bit more. Hmmm... maybe a bit off the top too?

It is important to include the shooting info, as you did, so we can evaluate the situation better.

Thanks for sharing :)

Alfred Forns
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi Bob Fully agree with previous suggestions !!!! Looking forward to many more !!!!

Maxis Gamez
01-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Hello Bob and welcome to BPN.

You are in the right path. The wings details are very nice. I wish this could be at eye level but this is a very nice image as it is. The reflection in the water really adds to the photograph!

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
A big welcome to BPN Bob. The previous comments have pretty much covered it all but I would like to add Bob that I find this a very artistic looking image with a very nice flow to it and I will be looking for ward to seeing you future posts.

James Salywoda
01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
WOW!!!!! A winner for sure man you couldn't ask for a better comp. A one of a kind.....

Arthur Morris
01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Different and interesting. I agree with George about the rock. If the water level had only been just high enogh to cover the rock...

IAC, you did quite well.

later and welcome and love, artie

Bob Blanchard
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! You have no idea how appreciated it is. I'm so tired of not getting critiques on anything I post, or getting critiques from photographers who really don't have any substantive track record to back up their opinion (although I respect everyone's opinion). Since I recognize many of the names here from work that I've admired, I know that's NOT the case here. I see a real improvement opportunity!

Thanks all -

Bob Blanchard