PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret

Grady Weed
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time: 4/22/2009 18:07:53, Shutter Speed 1/8000Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F5.0, Center weighted average metering, Exposure Compensation: -1, ISO 400, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, RAW, Flash Off, AI Servo AF. On Gitzo Tripod with Wimberley 2 Head from about 50 feet away. 75% of frame here, cropped for an 11x14 print.

This snowy egret was fishing for his supper late on last Wednesday evening. The sun was giving off its golden glow and a soft breeze cooled off the hot air. The egret was oblivious to the couple dozen people walking the beach or sunning themselves. He would walk along with his head turned sideways and eye parallel to the water and then freeze on occasion. He was very methodical in his technique and every time he jabbed the water he came up with a little fish. Good thing we don't have to eat like that. This was taken off South Daytona Beach near the Boardwalk.

Adams Serra
04-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi Grady,
Great light and bird. The whites look a little hot on my monitor. I would crop about some of the bottom.

Jory Griesman
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Nice image Grady. As noted Adams, I also think the bird is a bit hot on my monitor. I like the water that he/she is standing on, and would perhaps crop some of the other OOF foreground water, and a tad on the right. There may be a bit of noise in the background. Does anybody else see this, or is it my monitor?

Fabs Forns
04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
The "hot" whites are due to the warm light, red channel is probably blown. If you reduce the temperature some, it will help.

Check out this thread:

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35022

Grady Weed
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Re-posted with suggested improvements. How does this compare?

Randy Stout
04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Grady:

A big improvement with much more detail in the whites. Just for my education, I downloaded your picture and checked the red channel in NX2. The entire head and top 2/3rds of the bottom had blown out in that channel. Thanks Fabs!

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
04-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Your repost is far better Grady. The whites are warm, and this is nice and sharp. Comp wise, I would take a bit off the bottom.