http://www.thedwbgallery.com/images/20090411_1296.jpg

Table mountain Cape Town

Canon 1d Mk3
Canon 17-40mm @27mm
F10, 1/100, ISO 400

All comments welcome.

Rich Ikerd
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Easy to see why its called Table Mountain. I think there's a bit too much foreground for what the image is trying to show - not a lot of interest in the plain water contrasted with the breaking waves, mid-rocks and the main focus of the image Table Mountain. Possibly cropping above the single foreground rock would make the image a bit stronger but then it starts to get a bit too thin as well.

Roman Kurywczak
04-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey Dave,
I actually don't mind the central FG rock but do think the eviction of the RH side ones is the way to go. I also looked at a minimal crop from the bottom.....just above some of the foam in the dark blue at the bottom......why?....for me it further emphasizes the pano crop.....which I like......and almost makes a diagonal with the light orange in the water.....which leads me to the crashing waves and then draws my eye to table mountain. You can see the crop I mean by using your browser to scroll until you crop the darker area out with the bottom of the monitor. Final and very minor recommendation is to blend the con trail in the UR corner.......nothing you could do about that so just a slight blend with the colors in the area will be the final tweak.
Nicely composed and beautiful light.
PS When I did the browser crop myself I find the darker area on the right not as distracting....kind of points at table mountain......so I'd go with the crop first.

Dave Barnes
04-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks Roman and Rich for the comments.
I have re-looked at the crop and have done the following:
I have reduced the water in the foreground, but have kept the rock and darker area in. I think that these anchor the landscape.
As this moved the horizon to the centre line I added more sky to bring it lower.
I have blended the clouds on the right a tad.

http://www.thedwbgallery.com/images/20090411_1296a.jpg