PDA

View Full Version : My D300 Observations To Date

Jim Fenton
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I've got about 8K worth of images now so I can make some initial comments. Prior to the D300 I was shooting Nikon D2Xs bodies.

A) The cam 3500 AF is much better than the previous CAM 2000 in the D2 series....especially for BIF shooting. I'm currently using AF-C, 9 point dynamic, release set to FOCUS (frame rate + focus seams to work fine as well and shoots faster...just a bit less reliably) and Lock On set to SHORT of my subject might encounter something other than open sky. I have had no issues tracking sandelings flying at distance (individual birds) and snow buntings along the beach.

B) While the noise capabilities certainly aren't on par with the D3 (simple physics I would think), it is better than the D2Xs bodies I was shooting. I now have no hesitation shooting between 800 and 1200 whereas I'd never do this with th Xs unless I was desperate.

C) Build isn't as bad as I thought, especially with the grip mounted. I've just received the Kirk L bracket. It fits like a glove and works great.

D) Installed a round eye cup and even with glasses I have no issues.

E) Lost the LCD protector (as in I removed it) and installed a DA Protecta

F) The Picture Control gobledy gook s*cks IMHO. I installed the D2X emulation files, made a .set file for processing in NX and it works fine. I was rather displeased with the files prior to doing this as compared to the D2 series.

G) The buffer is too darned small. Even using Sandisk Extreme IV's it fills in no time shooting Raw plus jpeg.

My biggest note is to CLEAN THE CAMERA BODY CONTACTS. A number of us had issues both with the batteries showing dead and the camera turning off as well as long lenses ceasing to function. What I found was that the camera body contacts were very oily. Once cleaned, those of us who were having issues, so far are no longer experiencing these problems.

Merlin50
01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Jim,

Thanks for your insightful review. Nice to see a another name I recognize and respect too. So, has the D300 become your "go to" body for wildlife now?

Dave Metta

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Terrific info Jim and Welcome old buddy!!

Gordon Large
01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Jim -

Good to "meet" you on yet another forum. I hope this one lives up to its promise! FYI I intend to continue to use the Café as "home base". The critiques are generally useless, but the camaraderie is wonderful. I just got my D300, and your tips and comments will be very helpful. One question - Are the SanDisk Extreme IV's UDMA compliant? I assume so, but I couldn't find any mention of UDMA on the SanDisk site.

Thanks -

Gordon

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
One question - Are the SanDisk Extreme IV's UDMA compliant? I assume so, but I couldn't find any mention of UDMA on the SanDisk site.

Hey Gordon!!

Nice to see you here! Not Jim but hope this helps;

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1644

Quick answer though is YES.

Gordon Large
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Hey Gordon!!

Nice to see you here! Not Jim but hope this helps;

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1644

Quick answer though is YES.

Hi George - A pleasure to see you here too! Thanks for the SanDisk info. I don't know what happened, but I searched the SanDisk site and didn't find this info. Undoubtedly operator error.

Gordon

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Undoubtedly operator error.

Gordon

I am a champ at that myself! :D

Jim Fenton
01-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi Dave....

For the time being, I'm sort of stuck with it I guess :)

I may very well add a D3 this spring, but to be honest, in the majority of the areas / types of shooting and subjects I shoot, it won't have enough pixels to do what I need to do with them (large printing) assuming that I need to crop.

There will be times however, I will sacrifice that ability for the higher ISO capabilities...perhaps.

Jim Fenton
01-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Hiya George / Gordon.....

I think this is just the place we've been looking for folks :)

Gordon....I do believe the Extreme IV's are UDMA compliant, however, it is darn close to midnight and I have the flue, so I'm not gonna swear to it :)

Thanks George!

Jason Vaclavek
01-02-2008, 12:46 AM
How is the grip? Does it mount solid to the body?

Merlin50
01-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks very much Jim. I look forward to seeing more stunning results! I'm going out on a shoot in a couple of weeks and believe I'll have the use of a D300 for my own trial. That should be both fun and interesting.

Regards,

Dave

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Mounts much more solidly than I anticipated. The grip is magnesium construction and pretty danred solid.

Coming from the D2Xs bodies, I was concerned, but there was no need to be so :)

Josh O'Donnell
01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree that the grip on the D300 is very solid... I was initially concerned about using the grip on a tripod, however it is rock solid and IMHO is a very worthwhile purchase.

Michael Yessik
01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Why do you use the 9-point focus, rather than the 21 or 51 points? I would think that you would always be as least as well off with 51, and what would be the downside? Do you think that with 51 points activated, the camera might switch focus to something else in the frame? I understood that it would track the one you started with over the whole 51?

allanrube
01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I would think (a guess) that the less focus points you have activated, the faster the initial focus. If that is the case, single point would ideally be the best, but since it is easy for a single point to slip off a bird in flight, 9 seems a good compromise.

In reality the only pattern I did not like is 51 3D, which I found disconcerting watching the point jump all over the place.

George DeCamp
01-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Do you think that with 51 points activated, the camera might switch focus to something else in the frame? I understood that it would track the one you started with over the whole 51?

Yes, it can jump to say another bird in the flock, a higher area of contrast, etc. Nine seems about right for me on the D3 also. I have yet to even try the 3D which i doubt will work well for the stuff I shoot.

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Actually, I prefer to use ONE.

When I get a lock on a BIF, if it's a large enough target, I always try to lock on the neck . shoulder.

With 9 point, I have less of a potential issue of the camera grabbing a wingtip or something else, possibly causing the head not to be within the DOF the way I want it.

If it's a small bird, it isn't an issue.

If it's a flock of birds, I don't want the AF deciding what it's going to focus on.

If I'm shooting terns for instance, flying into the dunes with tall grasses waving in the breeze, I always shoot single point with Lock on set to SHORT.

IMHO, 51 point is sort of idiot mode. it slows the AF and FPS down as well as more processing is going on.

sandy richards
01-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Great to see so many familiar people here ! Thanks, Jim , for the great D300 review. just got mine last week, and the weather has been so terrible, it (and Gordon's 200-400 VR that I love!) are sitting inside sadly. But I'm heading to florida in 2 weeks for a workshop with Jim Neiger, and will make use of your guidance.
Sandy r (Richards)

Jim Fenton
01-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Sandy.....

Didn't you know that the D300 came cursed with clouds and crappy weather?

Mine did at least :)

Mike Lentz
01-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the report! That is going to be my next camera! :D

Alan Melle
01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I've got about 8K worth of images now so I can make some initial comments. Prior to the D300 I was shooting Nikon D2Xs bodies.

A) The cam 3500 AF is much better than the previous CAM 2000 in the D2 series....especially for BIF shooting. I'm currently using AF-C, 9 point dynamic, release set to FOCUS (frame rate + focus seams to work fine as well and shoots faster...just a bit less reliably) and Lock On set to SHORT of my subject might encounter something other than open sky. I have had no issues tracking sandelings flying at distance (individual birds) and snow buntings along the beach.

B) While the noise capabilities certainly aren't on par with the D3 (simple physics I would think), it is better than the D2Xs bodies I was shooting. I now have no hesitation shooting between 800 and 1200 whereas I'd never do this with th Xs unless I was desperate.

C) Build isn't as bad as I thought, especially with the grip mounted. I've just received the Kirk L bracket. It fits like a glove and works great.

D) Installed a round eye cup and even with glasses I have no issues.

E) Lost the LCD protector (as in I removed it) and installed a DA Protecta

F) The Picture Control gobledy gook s*cks IMHO. I installed the D2X emulation files, made a .set file for processing in NX and it works fine. I was rather displeased with the files prior to doing this as compared to the D2 series.

G) The buffer is too darned small. Even using Sandisk Extreme IV's it fills in no time shooting Raw plus jpeg.

My biggest note is to CLEAN THE CAMERA BODY CONTACTS. A number of us had issues both with the batteries showing dead and the camera turning off as well as long lenses ceasing to function. What I found was that the camera body contacts were very oily. Once cleaned, those of us who were having issues, so far are no longer experiencing these problems.

Where did you get a round eyecup for the D300? What would I look for to find one? Thanks

Adrian LeRoy
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Precision Photo http://bocaphoto.com/ is a good source for small photo accessories including those small round covers on Nikons that otherwise you have to beg from someone at Nikon. They have a good assortment of eyepieces.

David Lowell
01-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Jim,

I believe you have helped convince me to go with a D300 ($$$) rather than a D3 for my main body.

Thanks

Jim Fenton
01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Adrian gives you great advise...that's where I purchased mine :)

Jim Fenton
01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Both my D30 and 500 AFSII are at Nikon.

They simply stopped focussing together...as in DEAD.

The 500 works perfectly with two other non D300 bodies I tried it on (yes...cleaned the contacts...NO....not depressing the lens release button by mistake).

I'll have to see with the folks at Nikon come up with.

Josh O'Donnell
01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Yikes Jim, sorry to hear that... So far I haven't experienced any of the focusing quirks with my D300 and 300mm AFS (other than some possible front-focus issues) and I'm keeping my fingers that I don't!