PDA

View Full Version : Bare-throated Tiger-Heron, imm.

Dan Brown
04-26-2009, 10:22 AM
This image was captured in the western lowlands of Costa Rica out of the bus window (open) while attending Greg Basco and Doug Brown's workshop last week (a great, action packed workshop BTW!!). The bird appears to be flying away in this image but in the series, the images with the wings down, the bird appears to be slightly flying toward me and the opposite when the wings are up as if it's flying in a swimming motion with flaps out of sync? Ofcourse, it is flying away. Cropped about 30%, PP'ed in ACR and CS3.

Handheld
Camera Model: NIKON D300
Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D
Focal length: 400mm
VR Image Stabilization: On
AF mode: AF-C

Axel Hildebrandt
04-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I like the takeoff pose, details and setting and agree that it would have been even better if the bird would have flown towards you. I look forward to seeing more images of your trip and am glad you had a productive workshop.

Fabs Forns
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Such an interesting bird, will be looking forward to more pics from your trip. I think there's a green color cast noticeable in the bird's head, probably from the reflection of so much grass.

Keep them coming!

Phil Ertel
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen very many of these. I might be tempted to cut a bit off behind the bird and perhaps add a bit of canvas on the opposite side. Nice pose with good details.