PDA

View Full Version : New here.....

dawn campbell
04-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Greetings and salutations!

I've a friend who is a regular participant here at BPN, and tho I've been lurking for a year or more, have not yet posted anything. I'm not really a birder--I spend more time on macros and flowers than most things, tho I'm trying to push myself out of that comfort zone.

So with no further ado, here's one of my more recent images. I just acquired a Canon 5D Mark II, and this was one of my first shots taken with that using a Canon 100mm macro lens in natural window light (with black foamcore board behind the gerbera).

1/6s, f/4.5, ISO 100, 100mm on AV

Any suggestions are most welcome! (hopefully I'll do this right as I'm not used to forums)....

http://dawnleblanc.com/bpn/gerbera_redwhite.jpg

Thanks,
dawn

Julie Kenward
04-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Dawn, welcome to BPN and don't worry...it's not ALL about the birds here!

This is a lovely image for your first post and if you've been around for a year then you know we macro photogs LOVE a good gerbera daisy image. I really like that you have the whites on the petals brighter at the front half of the image than the back half...it really lets your eye settle and "assume" the light. The only distraction to the image that I can see is the bright white streak that is where the stem should be/is. I think that leaving it in is a personal choice but I would probably consider cloning it out so the eye goes straight to the white hairs in the center of the flower.

Looking forward to your next image...have fun...ask questions...we're here to help!

dawn campbell
04-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Thank you Jules. Funny, but I never even noticed the stem--the light was hitting that side of the stem and that's why it's so light, but sometimes it takes another pair of eyes :O)

Mike Moats
04-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Hey Dawn, a big welcome and glad you decided to start postings. I like this a lot, has a real nice feel in the DOF. Good sharp details on the center. I can take or leave the White area Jules mentioned, but looks fine as is. Keep em coming.

denise ippolito
04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi Dawn, Welcome to BPN and to this forum! Great first post here!! I like your choice of DOF-colors and composition are pleasing. Well done.

Joseph Martines
04-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Very nice posting.

Think I'll wait another 6 months for my year probation to be up and get more practice in before I post!!

Hey, where is the magician?? He hasn't been on the board lately.

Bruce Murden
04-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Dawn! Welcome to Macro & Landscape & Everything That's Not Just Birds.... I mean BPN, of course :) Lovely shot here, with great colors, comp, and lighting -- and I agree with Jules to clone out the hot stem.

Looking forward to more of your images!
Bruce

Roman Kurywczak
04-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Hi Dawn,
Yet another big welcome to the forum! another vote for stem removal and I am a huge fan of the gerbera's......make great subjects. The black BG works here nicely and I also don't mind the central placement of the flower as the shallow DOF leads us through. Very nice first post.

dawn campbell
04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone! much appreciated. ~~ dawn