PDA

View Full Version : Common Blue Violet

Ed Vatza
04-24-2009, 07:16 PM
From tonight along my local creek.

Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm Macro; Canon 430 EX Flash w/ LumiQuest Softbox; Tripod-mounted

1/80 sec @ f/14; ISO 800; 0 EV; FEC -1

Roman Kurywczak
04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey Ed,
I think you captured this tiny flower nicely! colors really pop. I'm not fond of the UR diagonal greenerey....as it seems out of tonal range with the rest of the BG. Maybe softening/blending it a bit? Very nice job on the lighting.

Ed Vatza
04-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Thanks, Roman. Appreciate your feedback and suggestions. I had feeling that the green in the UR might come up. I try not to mess around with stuff like too much for two reasons. One, I prefer to leave things much as they were. Two, what I don't know how to do in Photoshop would fill the oceans.

Anyway, I am up early and going to be heading off to Bowman's Hill again this morning, So I thought I'd take a few minutes and experiment with the background. If I was going to change it, I figured I would like to go with green. So I selected it, picked a green out of the UR corner, spray painted it into the background and used the gradient tool to provide, well, a gradient.

What do you think?

denise ippolito
04-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Nice photoshop work and good thinking adding the gradient. I also like that your edges don't look pasted. Your flower really shines now.

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Hey Ed,
As Denise mentioned.....really nice job on the PP........I would have take the easy way out and just blended the corner! I think your choice was a great one as the flower really pops and the soft gradient makes it very appealing. Nice job and looking forward to what you get at Bowman's.

Julie Kenward
04-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I like the original but love the repost. I, too, like to see the natural light but occasionally you have to photoshop a BG in to make the image sing and you did a great job here.

Now, here's the question for the day...

Where, oh where, did you find a single violet all by itself??? :D

Mike Moats
04-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey Ed, you did a nice job on this tiny little guy, I saw some of these in the woods the other day.