PDA

View Full Version : Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Alan Murphy
04-24-2009, 05:55 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Upper Texas Coast

D3, 600VR, ISO 800, f10 @ 1/2000, 0 EV comp, fill @ -1.3.

I was framed for the bird on the right when he started squabbling with the bird on the left.
This is full frame so I couldn't get both birds in the frame.
Hopfully the action makes up for the less than perfect comp.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Killer action. Two perfect head angles and amazingly sharp. (Did you switch to ISO 800 once they started fighting???) The berries are of course amazing. Assming that this was a set-up, how were the birds attracted to the set?

All in all, fantastic.

Stu Bowie
04-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Firstly, great timing to capture the interaction. You have exposed the blacks nicely in this, and as Artie has said, pin sharp.

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
This is too sweet Alan. What can I say I love it. What a special moment you captured in this image.

Alan Murphy
04-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Killer action. Two perfect head angles and amazingly sharp. (Did you switch to ISO 800 once they started fighting???) The berries are of course amazing. Assming that this was a set-up, how were the birds attracted to the set?

All in all, fantastic.

Hey Artie, with the D3, I mostly shoot at ISO 800 if I have good light. I see no noise at this setting and it allows me to have extra DOF and shutter speed, as in the results of this photo.

The berry perches were set up over a drip pond, although nothing was coming to water for the past three days (lots of standing water around from a big storm earlier in the week)The birds were coming to oranges, grape jelly and the berries. I shot at least 8 species eating the berries :-)

Axel Hildebrandt
04-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Great capture of this interaction, details and exposure control.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the additional info Alan. BTW, thanks to Chris Dodds and I you will have good internet in Mike Murphy's casita. <smile>