PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the sun - back to natural light

Randy Stout
04-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Another capture at Meijers Garden in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I really enjoyed working on different angles of view, going beyond the spread wings on a leaf picture. (I have a few of those too!) Tried to make the flash use subtle.

Nikon D700 70-200 f/2.8 at f/9 1/125s ISO 500 Flash TTL/BL at -2.7 EV Handheld

Post in Nikon Capture NX2. I brought down the brightness in the ULC, it was a bit overpowering. Wanted to keep the impression of sun direction however.

Comments certainly appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Kaushik Balakumar
04-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Randy, I like this image more than the prev one u posted. Like the lighting in this. Like the eye-level perspective too. Nice details on the wings, eyes.
How I wish the top wing was also in DOF (sharper). But I do understand the difficulty to get this in field.

Randy Stout
04-24-2009, 07:25 AM
Kaushik:

Thanks for the thoughtfull comment. I was actually shooting up a bit, and should have gone to f/11 to keep it all in DOF. But, this was handholding, standing on my tiptoes a bit, and with such a small amount of flash, I was concerned about motion blur. So, the compromise gave me sharp head,lower wing, but I lost a bit on the top wing.

I have a few others from this series, and will recheck to see if I have one with the entire wing(s) in focus.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the input.

Randy

denise ippolito
04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Randy, I like the composition and the colors in your BG are very complimentary,nicely done.

Roman Kurywczak
04-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey Randy,
This one is definitely stonger lighting wise and the BG is OK. The more you do these the more you will see that the BG is everything in macro. Becomes even more challenging with wings spread! Nice job! You have the hard part (comp) down.......the rest will come!

Mike Moats
04-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Hey Randy, another nice B-fly shot. Good details and BG. Well done.

Gus Cobos
04-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi Randy,
I like the composition, image and capture...the background compliments your subject very well...I like the the color rendition in the wings and the fine, sharp details...good show...:cool:

Thomas Herou
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Woderful BG,and a very nice sidepose.I like the tongue and the mysterious eyes too.