PDA

View Full Version : Spot Light

Don Lacy
04-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I really like the effect of the lighting here but wish I had a better angle on the head, like to hear from the HAP would you keep this one.

50D, 500 f/4 IS, 1/1600 at f/7.1, Manual Mode, Spot Metered, Raw, ISO 400. Tripod, Cropped and clone out two branches under the beak also selective darken other areas of the image.

Fabs Forns
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I like your idea and have done it a couple of times with Egrest. It bthers me not to see the feet at all in the position he is, the body seems to float.
Plumes flowing to the right a plus. If this were mine I'd go for a square crop. Very personal decision though.

About the head angle, it seems the beginning of the bill is further fro us than the eye, so he is facing away from you.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I think with a better HA this would definitely be a keeper, but I would keep it myself, at least until such time that a better one comes along.

Daniel Cadieux
04-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Fully agree with Fabs on all points, including head angle issue. There is a faintly paler area around the bill that you can work to match the rest of the dark BG (easier seen if you slowly scroll the image sideways back and forth). I would also crop some at left, just enough to eliminate the diagonal branch in LLC. Alternatively I also like Fabs' idea of a square crop. I love the mood to this image!

Dave Barnes
04-24-2009, 12:19 AM
I realy like the curve formed by the head, neck, back and tail feathers. I think that this would be further emphasized with a square crop.
Interesting photo thanks for sharing.

Stu Bowie
04-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I prefer the comp as is, and what a great contrast in colours. Dave makes a good point with regards to the curve of the egret. Well captured Don.

Ed Cordes
04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I like the spot light effect. However, I agree that the legs/feet need to be at least slightly seen.