PDA

View Full Version : Colorful but tiny

Christopher C.M. Cooke
01-30-2008, 12:39 PM
This little spider was less than 1 cm and the image was captured outdoors handheld at night on a Canon 30D with 100mm T2.8 Macro, 100/sec, F/11, ISO100, Manual exposure with MR-14 ringlite at 1/2 power.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/cookie99/IMG_5262rz_1800x600.jpg

Alfred Forns
01-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I like it a lot Christopher Might have framed him a bit lower Also might try a diffuser for the flash Lots of light is reflecting back to the camera Excellent find and capture !!!!

Jim Poor
01-30-2008, 06:27 PM
That's cool and kinda creepy too :D Looks like some dust bunnies or is that something to do with the web?

Robert O'Toole
01-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Chris,

I like it. Details and colors are great.
How did you manage to get light on the background at night. Well dont for a handheld night shot.

I think Jim is right, you might have some sensor dust..

Robert

John Cooper
01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Great subject matter Chris - agree with Al that the image looks a bit over-flashed. These hairy critters often make very dramatic images with some strong back-lighting emphasizing the hairy legs.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the help folks 1) Sensor has been cleaned and I am still coming to terms with the ringlite which for $700 came with the WORST instruction manual ever supplied by Canon, it looked like a photocopy so I went to Canon in person to complain and was told no it was the correct manual and NONE was available for download from them.

I like tiny spiders as I am phobic about the bigger variety (so why come to live in Australia) I like snakes and other nasties but NOT spiders.

John Cooper
01-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the help folks 1) Sensor has been cleaned and I am still coming to terms with the ringlite which for $700 came with the WORST instruction manual ever supplied by Canon, it looked like a photocopy so I went to Canon in person to complain and was told no it was the correct manual and NONE was available for download from them.

I like tiny spiders as I am phobic about the bigger variety (so why come to live in Australia) I like snakes and other nasties but NOT spiders.

Had exactly the same thing Chris when I bought my Canon Ringlite - it also came with a photocopied manual - not sure what the story is there!!

Mike Moats
01-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey Chris, very cool critter, love the red coloring on the legs. I agree with Alfreds suggestions about the framing and light. Easy to fix the dust spots.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
01-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks Mike as I shoot mostly outdoors I usually blow clean my sensor weekly but I won't touch it so it goes to the Camera doctor when needed.

I am VERY new to Macro work so I will soak up ALL advice.

Thanks mate.