PDA

View Full Version : California Quail (male)

Mark Schmitt
04-22-2009, 11:28 PM
It is an irony that in April many birds are pairing up for that event of perpetuation. The event of procreation; that most Darwinian culmination of species survival where, for those for whom selection by the indifference of the environment to be permitted to procreate, the most sacred of evolution is transmitted...DNA. But for some it is not yet time. Though urges are calling, no demanding, that this consumation take place, for one male quail it the irony spoken of that he remain alone. And so, he mounts a pine cone, which has done it's part in diseminating it's next generation of seed, and broadcast is readiness. But it is a call unheaded. Not this April. All over the canyon, and echoing off of the hills are the calls of males under the influence of Venus, to participate in the rite of spring. But not for this male. His passion may very well have to wait for the next spring.

Self critique: resolution and clarity are well within acceptable range. The BG has some mottleing in it, but I think it adds a little bit of variation and interest. The chin has not got enough detail in the blacks, but this is a singular problem when exposing quail. The pine cone adds some interesting texture and provide an unusual perch.

EXIF
Camera: Canon 30D
Lense: Canon EF 500 IS L USM @ 4.0
Mode: Apeture priority
Meter: Partial
ISO: 500
Whit bal: 5500K
Exposrue: 1/500 @ f 5.0, exp. comp -.66: fill flash -.33 comp, Better Beamer extender

Feel free;)

Desmond Chan
04-23-2009, 02:28 AM
I agree with you on your self-critique. And I would sharpen the eye a bit more, too.

Kim Rollins
04-23-2009, 03:34 AM
As a matter of interest-
I will comment not about the image but about a little known behavior that occurs and involves these single males. If a hen goes to nest but ends up with but few chicks the bachelors will take the chicks (adopt) to raise as there own, thus allowing the hen to go back to nest and lay another clutch of eggs.

Several years ago before I knew this I observed a single chick being raise by two male quail. I thought that a bit strange :eek: and then found through research it is not uncommon.

Scott Frye
04-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Background is gorgeous and I like the colors on the quail. The colors on the perch are complementary with the colors on the quail to make a photo that is nice to look at. And, with all the other colors I hardly notice any lack of detail in the blacks (so that is not a nit with me)

Marina Scarr
04-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi Mark:

This is a very pleasing photo. Your BG is gorgeous, and the perch is even better with all the texture it offers. You did a good job with exposure. I think sizing your pic up to the allowable 1024 would have given the viewers better evidence of all of the details, colors and patterns which this picture offers.

Stu Bowie
04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I like the markings and colours on this guy, together with the crest/feather from the side of his head. The perch is different, and what a great OOF BG. I agree with Marina, that this would have looked better in a larger format.

Mark Dumbleton
04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Really enjoy this image. Love the BG, colours on the bird and the perch is super!
Agree on sharpening the eye a tad. Well captured.

Simon Bennett
04-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Excellent pose, detail and background. I'm still to get these on my Australian list - there is an introduced population of them on King Island, near Tasmania.

Mark Schmitt
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. Will try to be more conscious of them on future posts ;-)

Mark Schmitt
04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
As a matter of interest-
I will comment not about the image but about a little known behavior that occurs and involves these single males. If a hen goes to nest but ends up with but few chicks the bachelors will take the chicks (adopt) to raise as there own, thus allowing the hen to go back to nest and lay another clutch of eggs.

Several years ago before I knew this I observed a single chick being raise by two male quail. I thought that a bit strange :eek: and then found through research it is not uncommon.

Many thanks for this, Kim. I'll always remember it when I see the male accompanying chicks this summer. I get quite a few around my property. ;)