PDA

View Full Version : Landing Snow Goose

Axel Hildebrandt
04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
This young bird was about to land while I was sitting on the ground close to other geese and am wondering if the OOF birds work for you.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/109973693/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/500s, f/8, EC+0.67, ISO 400

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
HI Axel
You'll probably get a myriad answers about the foreground. For me it looks natural and being OOF is good enough to leave as the landing goose has more than enough dominance in the image to be focused on that alone and not the FG elements. If anything, it is almost centered so I guess a bit more room to the right for me would be best. :)

Randy Stout
04-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Axel:

I find this one a challenge to decide about. I took many similar set ups of a white Ibis landing in a flock while out with James on the Hooptie Deux. I was never completely satisfied, but I do think the low angle works against the birds in the foreground. I would prefer they weren't the out of focus mounds, but slightly more distinct items. Still out of focus, but more recognizably birds.

Just the way it strikes me. I am not sure their is a perfect answer, but I would vote for a higher shooting angle and the shot being taken slightly earlier to compensate for our change in angle.

Randy

Phil Ertel
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I like the image very much. I don't mind the OOF birds as they and the OOF trees give me a sense of space. The landing bird is very nice. I love the pose with the blurred wing tips while the rest of the bird is sharp. If i would change anything I think Akos suggestion of a bit more room to the right might work.

Fabs Forns
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
I absolutely love the landing pose and especially the BG. I have problems with the foreground since they seem like light masses to me. You know I'm not easily distracted, but my eye needs more detail in them. One of the instances where I'd loved a higher angle.

Marina Scarr
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Axel, I really enjoy your photographs and respect your critiques. That said, the FG in this pictures simply doesn't work for me. I like the pose of the goose, the muted light, the motion blur in the wings, the sand? falling from the feet, but I simply can't get past the FG which I find detracts from the main subject.

Nate Chappell
04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
I like the landing bird and the bg but the fg doesn't do much for me here Axel.

Stu Bowie
04-23-2009, 12:42 AM
The FG doesnt bother me, as the goose seems to fit in against the two protruding heads. You have exposed him well enough, and love the landing posture. Comp wise, I would maybe take a bit off the left, and off the top.

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Wonderful timing and great action captured in this image. I too love the BG but agree with Fab about the FG. Fine work Axel !!

Mark Dumbleton
04-23-2009, 11:10 AM
I like the addition of the OOF FG, but I agree on taking a bit off the left.
Super exposure and pose of the landing bird! Well done!